Trainer tyre - wheel options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I have a CX bike which came with 35mm tyres, and I use 28mm road tyres which fit my wheels fine but I don't want to wear them out on my trainer.

I've only seen 700cc trainer tyres in 23mm or 25mm widths and I don't think my wheels (Maddux CX 3) will take a tyre as narrow as that.

Could I use a trainer tyre designed for a 29er MTB wheel on a Road/CX wheel? A quick Google suggests that 700cc and 29er are one and the same, but I'm not totally confident of that. I'm thinking of a trainer tyre like this on a Maddux CX 3 wheel: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-home-trainer-tyre-mtb/

Is it common to buy a 'training wheel' so that switching between rides on the turbo and the road is quicker and easier? What has your experience been if you did get an extra wheel, does it actually save time or do you have to make some adjustments when you switch wheels?

Sharky

Guru
I just use the same bike/wheel that I use for the road. A dedicated wheel with tyre and cassette is going to cost a lot more than my current road tyre, and I dont think a tyre will wear quicker on a smooth roller than it would on rough roads.

Lonestar

Veteran
I just use the same bike/wheel that I use for the road. A dedicated wheel with tyre and cassette is going to cost a lot more than my current road tyre, and I dont think a tyre will wear quicker on a smooth roller than it would on rough roads.

What tyre do you use?

Sharky

Guru
Last winter, it would have been city contacts (28mm). This is a pretty heavy tyre with a tread pattern, but no knobbly bits.
Or rubbino pros (23mm) on my other bike.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
If you're planning to use the trainer a lot get a cheap rear wheel and use it specifically for the turbo. Swapping them over doesn't take long. Turbos shred tyres in ways tarmac doesn't.

OP
OP
BurningLegs

BurningLegs

Veteran
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I have done this in the past, but I did notice considerable wear on my tyre (Zaffiro pro that came with my hybrid). The tyre was beading up/shredding and leaving debris on the wall behind my turbo, and on the turbo's roller. I am now using Schwalbe One's which are more expensive than the Zaffiro so I am considering using a trainer tyre to avoid excess wear on the more expensive tyre and also to reduce some of the droning noise of the turbo (hopefully).

If you're planning to use the trainer a lot get a cheap rear wheel and use it specifically for the turbo. Swapping them over doesn't take long. Turbos shred tyres in ways tarmac doesn't.

I assume you do this yourself? This might sound like a daft question, but how simple is it to switch the wheels over? Is it literally just a case of swapping the wheels, or do you have any trouble with re-indexing the gears etc after the swap? Do you have any issues with the chain slipping or skating when you switch between the different wheels?

Also - my bike has mechanical disc brakes. I wouldn't have any need for a disc rotor on a training wheel - I assume it is okay to use a wheel without a rotor?

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I have done this in the past, but I did notice considerable wear on my tyre (Zaffiro pro that came with my hybrid). The tyre was beading up/shredding and leaving debris on the wall behind my turbo, and on the turbo's roller. I am now using Schwalbe One's which are more expensive than the Zaffiro so I am considering using a trainer tyre to avoid excess wear on the more expensive tyre and also to reduce some of the droning noise of the turbo (hopefully).

I assume you do this yourself? This might sound like a daft question, but how simple is it to switch the wheels over? Is it literally just a case of swapping the wheels, or do you have any trouble with re-indexing the gears etc after the swap? Do you have any issues with the chain slipping or skating when you switch between the different wheels?

Also - my bike has mechanical disc brakes. I wouldn't have any need for a disc rotor on a training wheel - I assume it is okay to use a wheel without a rotor?

Hi BL

This is what all the guys in the bkool thread do, unless they have a trainer specific bike or direct drive trainer. Most turbos come with a specific quick release so having a dedicated wheel means you don't have to keep swapping from one quick release to another. You won't have to re index the gears. So long as your chain, cassette and general drivetrain are in good condition it'll be fine.
I'm not too clued up on disc wheels in general to be honest. But if the wheel fits your frame you obv don't have any need for a brake. In fact braking while on the turbo degrades the tyre faster.

If you've got any more questions or need help post on the bkool thread in this section as there's lots of guys on there with wide knowledge of all things turbo trainer and their failings!

Last edited:

gaijintendo

Veteran
Hi BL

This is what all the guys in the bkool thread do, unless they have a trainer specific bike or direct drive trainer. Most turbos come with a specific quick release so having a dedicated wheel means you don't have to keep swapping from one quick release to another. You won't have to re index the gears. So long as your chain, cassette and general drivetrain are in good condition it'll be fine.
I'm not too clued up on disc wheels in general to be honest. But if the wheel fits your frame you obv don't have any need for a brake. In fact braking while on the turbo degrades the tyre faster.

If you've got any more questions or need help post on the bkool thread in this section as there's lots of guys on there with wide knowledge of all things turbo trainer and their failings!

Just to add to this, I run a disk wheel without the disc on to have one less thing to line up when swapping the wheels. But it needn't even be a disc specific wheel - it just had to fit the frame.

Also, and this might be wrong, but if you have indexing issues, you can probably pick the best matching gear, and adjust the resistance. Not ideal for all types of training, but I'd be surprised if this is an issue. More likely you would experiences skips as as result of differences in wear between the two cassettes, and you could apply that logic.

OP
OP
BurningLegs

BurningLegs

Veteran

Thanks @TurboTommy - if I have any more questions, I will :smile:

Just to add to this, I run a disk wheel without the disc on to have one less thing to line up when swapping the wheels. But it needn't even be a disc specific wheel - it just had to fit the frame.

That's good to know, thanks. Disc wheels are generally more expensive (even at the bottom end of the market) so it's good to know I could go for literally any wheel as long as it's the same size. I think I will post in the classifieds section here - if someone has recently removed a wheel from their road bike because the braking surface is worn out, then that would be perfect for me!

si_c

Guru
Thanks @TurboTommy - if I have any more questions, I will :smile:

That's good to know, thanks. Disc wheels are generally more expensive (even at the bottom end of the market) so it's good to know I could go for literally any wheel as long as it's the same size. I think I will post in the classifieds section here - if someone has recently removed a wheel from their road bike because the braking surface is worn out, then that would be perfect for me!

Just be aware that rear wheels with disc brakes have wider axles than regular road bikes, as they need to accommodate the disc as well. They generally are 135mm wide with a quick-release, whereas a rim braked bike would be around 130mm.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
I have a CX bike which came with 35mm tyres, and I use 28mm road tyres which fit my wheels fine but I don't want to wear them out on my trainer.

I've only seen 700cc trainer tyres in 23mm or 25mm widths and I don't think my wheels (Maddux CX 3) will take a tyre as narrow as that.

Could I use a trainer tyre designed for a 29er MTB wheel on a Road/CX wheel? A quick Google suggests that 700cc and 29er are one and the same, but I'm not totally confident of that. I'm thinking of a trainer tyre like this on a Maddux CX 3 wheel: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-home-trainer-tyre-mtb/

Is it common to buy a 'training wheel' so that switching between rides on the turbo and the road is quicker and easier? What has your experience been if you did get an extra wheel, does it actually save time or do you have to make some adjustments when you switch wheels?

I use a 'trainer wheel' - same block and tyre but a much heavier wheel - cheapy from Halfrauds

Top Bottom