Training for 100 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
dodgy said:
I used to stop for a pint on my rides years ago, stopped doing it for some reason, I used to enjoy that :smile:

Yes people go for a Big Mac and have a pint of coke and go shopping, work etc, but they're not expending in the region of a 750 - 1000 calories per hour doing it. Also, I'm not sure if the sugars in a well thought out energy bar/drink is the same as the sugars in a coca cola, perhaps someone else can talk to that.

Anyway, my point is that it works for you, you've proved it. It doesn't work for me, but it might for others.

Dave.

The point here in bold is important. The fact that cycling we're using high up to 1000 cals per hour is exactly why we can afford to have high calorie foods and drinks without harm or a sugar crash, our bodies desperately need that fuel to replenish glycogen reserves. Those that simply go back to the office will find themselves flooded with more sugar than their sedentary existance requires and thus they'll get a sugar high followed by a crash.
Energy drinks are designed to get sugar into the boddy as quickly as possible. Most are based on Glucose/Dextrose and maltodextrin (Glucose in chains). Compared to Sucrose and Fructose in Coke. The sugar mix in the energy drink will likely cause slightly more of a sugar-spike than that in the coke. Also the salts in the energy drink also facilitate sugar uptake from the gut, these salts do not exisit in coke. Furthermore, Maltodextrin has a good trick up its sleeve. The stomach recognises high sugar level vconcentrations and will reduce uptake at high levels. Maltodextrin doesn't 'look' like sugar to the guts detection system, but breaks down vey quickly and somehow the gut gets fooled into taking-up all the dextrose as it's released!

It's complex and I don't understand it all, thefact that there is a lot of research in theis are suggests that there is a lot left to learn!

For us amateurs, we need to find solutions that work for us,some will be universal, some maybe less conventional. Interesting readingm is that of the Audax Crew, you can't cycle 600km non-stop without eating real food and coping with whatever is available. The one thing you can't escape is that you need a lot of calories, and you can't get them all from energy products.

Oh, on the subject of beer :smile: I simply can't drink a pint and then ride! For me best left to the end ;)

Cheers
FF

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I don't think any of us are using 1000 calories per hour btw

Back to the original Q
If you can ride 60miles in 4hours without stopping, you'll be fine for a 100 miler with little training. An energy bar or two mid ride would see you through. A bottle of PSP22 would be good too. A good breakfast before you ride is good. Malt loaf and jam works for me, anything else is too heavy. Porridge is good, but i generally see it again, so its not for me.

Blue

Legendary Member
dodgy said:
Just doing a bit of research now and it looks like there is some ambiguity over the sugar rush / crash cycle. Some say it exists, a few say it doesn't. Maybe FF has discovered the elixir of long distance cycling :biggrin:

Dave.

I can't quote the reference, but back in my running days I read a paper that suggested that taking refined sugar during exercise didn't produce the usual sugar crash. Many of my long distance fell running mates ate buns on the hoof.

ASC1951

Guru
50-50 Coke and water works very well for me once I get to the ragged end after 75 miles or so. Up to that I prefer plain water.

There's no great magic to powders and potions on a 100 mile ride. Don't suddenly stuff yourself with food halfway round, but apart from that just nibble whatever you fancy whenever you want it. The main thing is to get on your bike and pedal. If you can regularly do 60 the extra 40 won't be a problem.

Top Bottom