Training For 100km Ride Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
As a previous (as in 20 years ago) mileage eater, I also had to start somewhere.
When I first started cycling, 7 miles & a hill used to kill me.
I just went a bit farther each time; after a few years I rode 70 milers comfortably.

My advice is to add about 5 to 10 miles to your ride, until you reach 50miles, or there abouts.
That will see you through a 100km ride. Also, riding with others makes a ride easier.

Night riding is different to daytime cycling, I would advise you to at least ride one of your known routes at night.
It can get cold at night as well, but maybe not too bad in town; I ride in the countryside.

Good luck & enjoy it.

Relax. If you can ride 20km without too much stress, then just treat it as 5 x 20km rides. Stop at each refreshment station, indulge in the biscuits and move on again when you feel up to it.

75 miles a week is huge, and 100 flat kilometres is not. I dragged a poor friend who was not doing too much cycling to Brighton which is about the same distance, but much hillier and she did ok. At one point she was pretty miserable, so we pulled into a petrol station, bought 2 litres of water and shared the cake she brought. In 1/4 of an hour, she was feeling ready to finish the journey.

btw, if you really are doing 75 miles/week, you'd be in the CC top 5 on endomondo http://www.endomondo.com/teams/280461/leaderboard

Thanks all for the encouragement. I have decided to sign up for the Nightrider 2012 through my work - I'm waiting for them to get back to me on Monday. Something to train towards now :-)

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Thanks all for the encouragement. I have decided to sign up for the Nightrider 2012 through my work - I'm waiting for them to get back to me on Monday. Something to train towards now :-)

Having a defined goal certainly makes it easier to train, especially on those cold, rainy days when you simply can't be bothered. Good luck :thumbsup:

Top Bottom