Training for a sportive.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am doing a sportive on August 20th. It is 47 miles which may be a walk in the park for some of you but a long distance for me as my usual rides are between 20 and 30 miles. I know I can do the 47 although the way back from the sportive has more up hills than downs when I checked it out in the car. I found that my legs get more tired if I go out every day rather than twice a week. So, should I stick to going out only twice a week and cover about 25 miles each time or should I go out more/ increase the distance?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same frequency as usual but a few more miles.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
When doing charity rides, as these are the only time I really cycle with a group, I spend the weeks beforehand gradually increasing the distance and seeking out more hills. I do this on a mountain bike normally but ride the event on a lighter road bike.

I appreciate it's a very unscientific method, but it works for me.
Quite scientific actually. If you can do the miles on a heavy, slow bike you should have no problem on a light road bike. :okay:

Increasing the distance by a few miles each week certainly wouldn't hurt your preparation but I'm sure you'll be fine as you are

Globalti

Legendary Member
What about nutrition? Adding a couple of fingers of a maltodextrin-based energy drink to your bottle will increase the distance you can ride without feeling tired.

rivers

How far can I go?
You'll probably be okay as you are. If you're worried, just increase the distance you ride a little each week. I just did my first imperial century, and decided to do it about 4 weeks prior. I did one 75 mile ride 2 weeks prior, and just my normal amount of 30-60 mile rides in the weeks leading up to it (commuting, club runs, and a few after work rides).

Tin Pot

Guru
I am doing a sportive on August 20th. It is 47 miles which may be a walk in the park for some of you but a long distance for me as my usual rides are between 20 and 30 miles. I know I can do the 47 although the way back from the sportive has more up hills than downs when I checked it out in the car. I found that my legs get more tired if I go out every day rather than twice a week. So, should I stick to going out only twice a week and cover about 25 miles each time or should I go out more/ increase the distance?

If you want to build a bit more confidence and endurance, add a third shorter but higher intensity ride.

Pace yourself on the day of the sportive, most people go out harder than they usually ride and suffer later on.

Top Bottom