Training for Belgium Bergs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger1

Veteran
I've got a boys weekend in May in Belgium staying in Oudenaarde. I've got a reasonable base mileage in me at the moment, and i think the plan is 40/75/75/40miles over the 4 days, so the mileage isn't massive or daunting, but looking at the Strava elevations there doesn't seem to be any flat!!! So my question is what is the best way to train? I do have Zwift and have been recommended the TT Tune up Work out program which looks good but just wondering if there are any other thoughts from. Is it just a case of finding hills and going up and down?!!

Also there was talk of doing the Flandrien challenge so would love to hear any experience from those who may have tried it?

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
I'm off to Belgium 🇧🇪 next month for 4 days to incorporate the Brugge - De Panne cycle race, we'll be staying in Veurne & hoping to ride the race route the day before.....
It will be flat for us.... 🤣

Although the day will be a 160 kms.... 😳

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My mate lives near Ghent and is a good cyclist (ex. pro) and his strava rides are flat compared to what we have in the North West. There are loads of cobbled climbs, but they aren't long. - His ride yesterday was 73 miles down to Oudenaarde from Ghent, Just 1,285ft of climbing. I do that on a 20 mile flat ride in Cheshire. It's flat. 70 miles in the peaks and you'd be looking 5000-7000ft plus of climbing.

If you're staying in Oudenaarde, you could do all of those distances on the flat - but then, you'd be missing all the fun! The Koppenberg, Oude Kwaremont and Paterberg are all within easy reach - so you can plan a ride which is lovely stretches of flat (or at most rolling) countryside with excellent infrastructure and supremely considerate drivers, interspersed with short, steep, lung-busting cobbled climbs!

Training-wise, if you've got the miles in your legs/base fitness and a low enough gear you'll be fine - although they're short and sharp, they're strength climbs. Depending on the weather and your tyre width/pressure, try to stay seated so you keep weight on the back wheel - the weight-shift when standing up, along with the sudden extra torque can actually cause a problem as your back wheel lets go. DAMHIKT :laugh:

If you're staying in Oudenaarde, you could do all of those distances on the flat - but then, you'd be missing all the fun! The Koppenberg, Oude Kwaremont and Paterberg are all within easy reach - so you can plan a ride which is lovely stretches of flat (or at most rolling) countryside with excellent infrastructure and supremely considerate drivers, interspersed with short, steep, lung-busting cobbled climbs!

I stayed in Oudenaarde for one night of my September tour. Rode those 3 in a morning, before lunch at the museum back in town. (Refused to pay the £1000 entry for the main exhibition!) Brilliant day. There are some nice rolling (proper tarmac) hills in the area too, as well as the flat tow-path stuff.

Regarding the climbing figures mentioned ... I can testify that 100m of cobbled climb is NOT the same as on British tarmac. I just barely got up the Koppenberg with my touring luggage. @Badger1 's trip sounds awesome!

OP
OP
Badger1

Badger1

Veteran
I'm in South Gloucestershire and there are some spiky climbs around. Def want to do some of the famous bergs but also intermingled with some coffee/cake and Belgium beer - hence the relatively short rides. Having had a look at some of the bergs I reckon at most it will 10/15mins of effort, but bloody hard effort, unless I'm very much mistaken?! My Zwift FTP equates to 2.5W/KG currently, although I am at my winter weight at the moment!! And if its too hard I'll get off and walk!!!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Swiss Hill in Alderley Edge is worse - my mate will tell you ! They are at least half decent cobbles. in Belgium.

Looks nice in the morning light though...

Name Road.jpg

Top Bottom