Training for cyclists indeed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm saying there's no need to be scared. If you're scared for no reason thats your problem.

I'm scared of men with beards, I don't expect all beardedmen to stay indoors when I go out
I don't suppose many men with beards rush at you barking?

And no-one is suggesting all dogs should stay indoors when cyclists are about...

Not really, it's pretty easy to tell if a dog is friend or foe.

I can tell some friendly ones - they carry on with what they were doing. I don't think anyone is complaining about them. And I'm sure you do call your dog to heel, and he/she probably obeys - but you aren't the kind of dog owner that people are bothered about.

The ones where it is difficult to tell is where they rush at you, possibly barking. As said above, there is the potential for them to knock you off the bike. And the owner wittering on that 'He's only having fun/wouldn't hurt you/only trying to be friendly' cuts no ice if the mutt does end up knocking you off.

And no, it hasn't happened to me yet (although it has to others on here). But then a close-passing HGV hasn't knocked me off yet either, and I reserve the right to be scared by them.

It isn't always possible to avoid "friendly", "playing" dogs, esp in limited space like towpaths.

This is NOT an attack on all dog owners or their dogs. Only the dogs that are not under control (and yes, the fault is with their owners).

OP
OP
addictfreak
See, if I'm out with the dog and I see a cyclist, I just call him to heel. And if I'm on the bike and I see a dog I just slow down and go round it. If said dog approaches I just wait til its owner gets it back before I continue.

No problem. Just needs abit of give and take on both sides.

I always slow down on my approach, and hope the dog owner not only calls the dog to heel but holds onto its collar while I pass. Not all dogs will sit obediently when commanded.

As you say a bit of give and take on both sides

Sara_H

Guru
I don't suppose many men with beards rush at you barking?

And no-one is suggesting all dogs should stay indoors when cyclists are about...

I can tell some friendly ones - they carry on with what they were doing. I don't think anyone is complaining about them. And I'm sure you do call your dog to heel, and he/she probably obeys - but you aren't the kind of dog owner that people are bothered about.

The ones where it is difficult to tell is where they rush at you, possibly barking. As said above, there is the potential for them to knock you off the bike. And the owner wittering on that 'He's only having fun/wouldn't hurt you/only trying to be friendly' cuts no ice if the mutt does end up knocking you off.

And no, it hasn't happened to me yet (although it has to others on here). But then a close-passing HGV hasn't knocked me off yet either, and I reserve the right to be scared by them.

It isn't always possible to avoid "friendly", "playing" dogs, esp in limited space like towpaths.

This is NOT an attack on all dog owners or their dogs. Only the dogs that are not under control (and yes, the fault is with their owners).

For you maybe. Not everyone has these skills. My friend has two autistic sons who are terrified of dogs and the owner shouting "he's okay" really doesn't cut it.

Don't get many dogs rushing at me barking either. In fact never. I've had the odd one run up for an inquisitive sniff though, which isn't a problem if you adopt a live and let live frame of mind.
I really do wonder what sort of places you lot frequent where you have all these slavering hounds straining to do you bodily harm.
I'm fairly certain that the majority of these reports are the result of misunderstanding or exageration.

As to children being terrified, thats unfortunate, but can you really expect the entire world to moderate their behaviour? I once had a woman have the screaming habdabs as I walked by with the dog, he hadn't even looked at her. I was profusely apologetic, but when I thought about it afterwards, I hadn't done anything wrong, it was her problem, not mine.

Sara_H

Guru
Poor old Buster, two broken legs. He looks a bit miserable in that picture.
My dog got run over in our local park by the park keeper in a white van! Bloody WVM! Luckily, My dog's a tough old idiot, so after a quiet couple of hours he soon forgot anything had ever happened!

Sandra6

Veteran
I don't think cyclists should be going fast on shared paths, 10mph's should be top speed unless there's nobody about, but I also don't think you'd have to be going that fast to break a dog's leg.
You can't expect dogs to be kept on their leads at all times, so if you're cycling in a dog walking area you've got to be aware and slow down if necessary. What I object to is the cluster of old biddies who ignore your bell, "excuse me's" and even your threat to mow them down if they don't shift!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
For you maybe. Not everyone has these skills. My friend has two autistic sons who are terrified of dogs and the owner shouting "he's okay" really doesn't cut it.
Agreed - I was just thinking the same of my friend's child who is on the autistic spectrum and really doesn't like dogs.

Mind you I've been there when a dog has been snarling at a scared child and the owner has said - it's ok he's friendly. He certainly didn't look it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As for the type of dogs that you meet - I think it can depend on the area, in some places the dogs are meant to look scary, that is what the owner wants.

Bill-H

slow and steady
True the wooly alligator that chewed my bike after jumping up at me in north devon on cycle path was not bike friendly owner said dog was scared of bikes so letting a 8 stone Alsatian off its lead on a cycle path was a good idea not
When I take my dogs for a walk if bikes are approaching they are called to heel and held until bike has past

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I really do wonder what sort of places you lot frequent where you have all these slavering hounds straining to do you bodily harm.
I'm fairly certain that the majority of these reports are the result of misunderstanding or exageration.
Was wondering about the same thing. In more than a year that I've been cycling the closest "dog incident" was when a wee mutt wanted to run along my bike with my great delight.
The owners thought I was gonna kidnap it :laugh:

Leaway2

Lycrist
I don't know the route but I see the article throws in "pavement cycling" and "red light jumping" in for good measure. Surprised there is no mention of no lights, hi viz clothing!

Ningishzidda

Taff Trail Code of Conduct

_56155346_tafftrail2-1.jpg

• Keep left, pass right - all users
  • Be seen and be heard - cyclists use a bell
  • Be considerate and polite - pedestrians have priority
  • Be safe - cyclists should pass pedestrians at a safe distance in case they suddenly change direction
May be some joggers need lessons too? The one I passed on a shared path at the weekend was weaving about and wearing headphones. I actually speeded up to pass him quickly before he lurched into my path. A bell, or indeed my shout of warning, was useless...

I did not notice if he had a beard.

'Pedestrians beware of low flying bicycles'.

Dogs? Dangerous Dogs Act Section 3 1991.

snorri

Legendary Member
. I've had the odd one run up for an inquisitive sniff though, which isn't a problem if you adopt a live and let live frame of mind..
Stop! Any owner who allows his/her dog to approach me for an uninvited ' inquisitive sniff' is failing in their duty as a responsible dog owner.

Top Bottom