Training for ... nothing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
This year, I have no Charity Rides booked, and no paid for events either.

For the past 5 years I have done two Sue Ryder - Ride for Ryder, the Solent Challenge, Prudential Ride 100 (twice), Palace to Palace and for fun, the Dragon Ride (Medio)

I don't race, and at 45 I am not sure I want to start.

This year, I am training for nothing (Therefore, it is not training at all)

However, I will keep riding every day, and get fitter, stronger, lighter and faster, and more experienced.

The previous five years have been motivated by charity rides and so without one I'm free of the pressure (of having to raise X thousands of pounds in fundraising but obviously lacking in any goals.

I might book an Evans or Wiggle sportive or ride, but I will leave that to the last minute.

It is refreshing not to have any pressure to cycle, it is for once all about the enjoyment.

Do I need a goal, a challenge, something in the diary to aim for ? I dunno.

Help

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Of course you don't need a goal or a challenge.

I quite often get asked what I am training for and get blank looks when I reply "nothing I ride for fun"

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Just see how you go, there doesn't have to be an aim, although I find I ride more when I have one.

If you want a big thing to aim at, it's Paris-Brest-Paris this year :evil:

less drastic than that (and the qualifiying 200, 300, 400 and 600 km audaxes) if you want a target, how about looking for a nice ride, maybe a sportive, audax or tour in a place you've never cycled, or over a distance you've never managed before, or riding all the country lanes within 20 miles of your house. :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
Not long after cycling LEJOG I had to pay a routine visit to my GP, he asked me about any exercise I might or might not be taking. I said I had recently managed to do a LEJOG and expressed some (false!) regret that I had not used the trip to raise any money for charity. Far better not to he said, as long as you enjoyed the cycling it would have done your own health a lot more good than if you had saddled yourself with the stress of fundraising etc..
Since then I have undertaken longer tours, all just for my own enjoyment and without any form of speed, distance or timing targets to be achieved, The only motivation I need is the pleasure of touring in new surroundings and the feeling of well being from the physical exercise required to get me there and back.
Try some touring, it could work for you too:smile:.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Not long after cycling LEJOG I had to pay a routine visit to my GP, he asked me about any exercise I might or might not be taking. I said I had recently managed to do a LEJOG and expressed some (false!) regret that I had not used the trip to raise any money for charity. Far better not to he said, as long as you enjoyed the cycling it would have done your own health a lot more good than if you had saddled yourself with the stress of fundraising etc..
Since then I have undertaken longer tours, all just for my own enjoyment and without any form of speed, distance or timing targets to be achieved, The only motivation I need is the pleasure of touring in new surroundings and the feeling of well being from the physical exercise required to get me there and back.
Try some touring, it could work for you too:smile:.

This is a revelation to me and I will give it some serious thought.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At 58 and 10 months I am training for when I turn 60, as I want to be as fit as I can be on that day. Not sure why, but it gives me a focus.
I'm 2 months ahead of you, having recently turned 59.

I kind of like the idea of doing a 600 km audax to fit in with being 60. 10 kms per year of my life? If I am going to do that, I might as well do the 200, 300 and 400 rides as well and become a 60 year old super-randonneur!

I'll see how my health and fitness are this year before taking on that particular challenge in the following year ...

PaddyMcc

Über Member
I have looked at several charity rides this year and been put off by the exorbitant amounts they want you to raise. Consequently I am relying on getting a ballot position for the prudential 100

zizou

Veteran
If you just want to ride your bike then a goal isnt needed. However having a goal can give a bit more focus to the times when it is easy to skip training because it is a bit cold or a bit wet.

The goal doesnt have to be a race or an event either. I train for them but alot of that is done in negative way ("i must do this because if i dont i will be dropped") but training for riding itself is the opposite to this and positive - it's all about the hope of having epic summer rides. The fitter i am then the better these adventures can be - i can go further for longer, not struggle up every hill and be able to actually take in the scenery rather than just chew on my bars. It can be the difference between doing 50 miles and feeling fresh for another 50 or doing 50 and being shattered. Better fitness gives the opportunity for more of a good thing!

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not join a club if you want to be part of something - cycling & social. May not be your bag of course

Steady

Über Member
It's only it's only in cycling where I find "training" is scrutinised so badly!

When I go out for a run, it's "training" usually to run better/faster/further. Even if not competing there's an "event" in my mind.

If I'm Hill-walking it's the same, I've walked twenty five miles for no other reason than because I could (although at various points thought I couldn't!).

I never partake in big organised events. I'm doing this for myself.

If someone enjoys those events and needs to feel a part of something to enjoy the the success then that's up to them, but I prefer to be my own event!

Top Bottom