Training indoors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always swore I’d never need an indoor trainer, but I’ve been persuaded otherwise. No prizes for guessing the crucial current issues changing my mind. So I’ve no experience. I don’t need anything special, I’m not a racer, I just need to turn my legs over if I need to lockdown again. Cost is important, but so is feel, I’m not gonna use something that feels weird! Any advice. Reasons would be good with opinions. Thanks in expectation.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why does Corona Virus lockdown mean you have to train indoors? In the UK riding outdoors was/is allowed and was almost positively encouraged.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've got a turbo in the garage, I don't use it for training, more for motivation or put it bluntly to get my arse in to gear.
This year in no exception, I started doing one hour sessions, but as always even with good music boredom set in, so I set up a challenge how many miles can I cover in 30 minutes (yes I know they are not real miles) so far it went like this -
8.39 00:30:00
8.73 00:30:00
9.14 00:30:00
8.23 00:30:00
9.38 00:30:00
9.51 00:30:00
I would like to get 10 miles for the 30 minutes, now I'm nearly 69 and on beta blockers so I can't get my heart rate above 130 BPM.......but I'm getting there.
The improvements I have found while out on the road has amazed me, I have an e-trike and I have 5 settings normally I use setting 2, but since my training I'm only using setting 1 and of course saving battery power for longer rides, so if it helps an old fart like me it has to be a good thing :smile:

OP
OP
F

FishNeedsBike

Why does Corona Virus lockdown mean you have to train indoors? In the UK riding outdoors was/is allowed and was almost positively encouraged.
It’s because I’m immunity compromised. I’m more likely to be late if I catch it; if I survive I’m likely to lose my donated kidney. I can’t handle dialysis again. (Dialysing- taking the urine, mechanically). It’s a choice, go mad or die!🤪
I've got a turbo in the garage, I don't use it for training, more for motivation or put it bluntly to get my arse in to gear.
This year in no exception, I started doing one hour sessions, but as always even with good music boredom set in, so I set up a challenge how many miles can I cover in 30 minutes (yes I know they are not real miles) so far it went like this -
8.73 00:30:00
9.14 00:30:00
8.23 00:30:00
9.38 00:30:00
9.51 00:30:00
I would like to get 10 miles for the 30 minutes, now I'm nearly 69 and on beta blockers so I can't get my heart rate above 130 BPM.......but I'm getting there.
The improvements I have found while out on the road has amazed me, I have an e-trike and I have 5 settings normally I use setting 2, but since my training I'm only using setting 1 and of course saving battery power for longer rides, so if it helps an old fart like me it has to be a good thing :smile:
certainly sounds good, more miles is what I’m after. That and better recovery.

OP
OP
F

FishNeedsBike

Its free to walk up and down stairs (if you have them) all day long. :whistle:
I have a stoop, 5-6 steps outside the front door. My address already has a reputation for strange behaviour.
I'm guessing the OP might be vulnerable or in contact with someone who is...

Better answers can be given with a known budget
nope, I am the vulnerable. I’m thinking about a mag trainer, on sale at Planet X for £50-, less than half price. But I don’t know how it will ride, will I waste my money spending so little. There is a similar fluid turbo trainer , I like,(less bits to fiddle with). It’s also twice the price, if the difference between mag and fluid is a muchness, is it worth the extra. I don’t want to go much beyond £200-

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Apologies from me, I hadn't considered the health reason.

When I had a spell of house confinement a couple of years ago after being injured in an RTA I used a set of borrowed rollers to help keep my sanity and maintain some fitness until I was allowed back on the road.

It was moderately enjoyable for the couple of months I used them and I found the balance and concentration required to be more engaging than I imagine a fixed/stationary trainer would be.

vickster

Legendary Member
How about one of these second hand? I have one and it works well (this isn’t mine for sale!)
Fair few on eBay
Eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CycleOps...506932?hash=item1f142d6ab4:g:DHsAAOSwstxfJvHy

As well as the Turbo trainer itself a method of cooling yourself is important. If you are a big well muscled chap you will be able to generate enough heat to warm a small vilage on a turbo when going for it. Most people use at least one or more fans. I have 2 evaporative coolers, a big fan that passes air across a wet membrane. Also something to go on the floor to soak up the sweat and maybe a cover for the top tube of the bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can I possibly recommend a Tacx T2240 Smart Turbo Trainer - can be got for £200 or less. Get yourself a computer/laptop/ipad, an Ant+ USB dongle and give Zwift a try. Got to be better than staring at a wall.

I bought mine when I broke my spine - we'll I actually bought a standard trainer from my Hospital bed, got my sister to collect it, then upon eventually getting out of hospital and getting permission to try and exercise (about 4 months) started on Zwift - found it pretty good, so upgraded to a smart trainer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My current set up. Laptop at the side is works, I was on a skype just as I got on the bike.

I usually have Netflix on the other screen

OP
OP
F

FishNeedsBike

Apologies from me, I hadn't considered the health reason.

When I had a spell of house confinement a couple of years ago after being injured in an RTA I used a set of borrowed rollers to help keep my sanity and maintain some fitness until I was allowed back on the road.

It was moderately enjoyable for the couple of months I used them and I found the balance and concentration required to be more engaging than I imagine a fixed/stationary trainer would be.
No reason to apologise for being interested, I should also add that considering the governments responces, I take little heed of their recommendations!
However your roller option sounds like an affordable and useful consideration, thanks for that. The idea that falling is a plus, I’ve gotten so unfit that overdoing it is a problem; getting giddy, that may be carpet but I don’t want to hit it! Skol!

vickster

Legendary Member
My current set up. Laptop at the side is works, I was on a skype just as I got on the bike.

View attachment 540050

I usually have Netflix on the other screen
Getting away from screens is a big reason for me to cycle! I can’t imagine anything worse than playing some sort of video game while cycling! I do watch TV on the rare occasions I use a turbo but would rather not

grellboy

Über Member
Can I possibly recommend a Tacx T2240 Smart Turbo Trainer - can be got for £200 or less. Get yourself a computer/laptop/ipad, an Ant+ USB dongle and give Zwift a try. Got to be better than staring at a wall.

I bought mine when I broke my spine - we'll I actually bought a standard trainer from my Hospital bed, got my sister to collect it, then upon eventually getting out of hospital and getting permission to try and exercise (about 4 months) started on Zwift - found it pretty good, so upgraded to a smart trainer.
I second this. Got mine for £100 on Ebay a couple of years ago, although they went mad on recently during lockdown with crazy pricing!! Personally i don't use Zwift or any software, I just either watch cycling on Eurosport or a box set on Netflix. Also, with this particular trainer, if you have a decent Garmin - 530, 530 level - then you get all the metrics displayed too so you can do it without any trainer software.

Top Bottom