Training indoors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

FishNeedsBike

Your system sounds like a great setup; distraction and metrics, I’m imagining a custom training hub set up ready to go! I know if I go that way that’s what I’ll end up with! It’s a a fluid system, have you tried a mag turbo system? Is the ride noticeably different? I’m entry level here, under funded to boot, but the machine looks like a good option I may well go that way. Cheers circles, not up and down!

OP
OP
F

FishNeedsBike

Getting away from screens is a big reason for me to cycle! I can’t imagine anything worse than playing some sort of video game while cycling! I do watch TV on the rare occasions I use a turbo but would rather not
The only screen that I currently use is a smart phone, I don’t seem to be able to find the off switch on a TV! Similarly I don’t want to spend much time going nowhere, but I’ve needed to lockdown harder than most and need to spin my feet more than I have been.

OP
OP
F

FishNeedsBike

As well as the Turbo trainer itself a method of cooling yourself is important. If you are a big well muscled chap you will be able to generate enough heat to warm a small vilage on a turbo when going for it. Most people use at least one or more fans. I have 2 evaporative coolers, a big fan that passes air across a wet membrane. Also something to go on the floor to soak up the sweat and maybe a cover for the top tube of the bike.
I’ve seen this stuff on the bike sites I haunt and it’s all good stuff too consider , but costs are a consideration, so that sort of set up is future consideration! One thing at a time, I hadn’t thought the overheating issue, so thanks for that! Make circles with your feet, cheers!

OP
OP
F

FishNeedsBike

As well as the Turbo trainer itself a method of cooling yourself is important. If you are a big well muscled chap you will be able to generate enough heat to warm a small vilage on a turbo when going for it. Most people use at least one or more fans. I have 2 evaporative coolers, a big fan that passes air across a wet membrane. Also something to go on the floor to soak up the sweat and maybe a cover for the top tube of the bike.
Harry the dog? You’re not a car chaser are you?

Afternoon,

Getting away from screens is a big reason for me to cycle! I can’t imagine anything worse than playing some sort of video game while cycling! I do watch TV on the rare occasions I use a turbo but would rather not

The exercise bikes/treadmills at the gym I used to use had professionally made videos from places like The Alps or a Glacial Gorge in New Zealand fully integrated so the hills etc in the video and exercise intensity were linked.

I found them quite engrossing, far more so than computer generated scenes.

I did a quick Google for "Cycle Scenery" and found a You Tube channel

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxlTMHxfDic
with something similar.

Because these videos are disconnected from the bike you can be riding flat out and panting out whilst "going downhill".

I haven't tried them, but for anyone who had never even thought that they might exist they could be worth a dabble.

OP
OP
F

FishNeedsBike

Afternoon,

The exercise bikes/treadmills at the gym I used to use had professionally made videos from places like The Alps or a Glacial Gorge in New Zealand fully integrated so the hills etc in the video and exercise intensity were linked.

I found them quite engrossing, far more so than computer generated scenes.

I did a quick Google for "Cycle Scenery" and found a You Tube channel

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxlTMHxfDic
with something similar.

Because these videos are disconnected from the bike you can be riding flat out and panting out whilst "going downhill".

I haven't tried them, but for anyone who had never even thought that they might exist they could be worth a dabble.

Cheers!

rivers

How far can I go?
if money is tight, the bikehut turbo from halford's is fairly solid. I was using that paired with a speed and cadence sensor over lockdown3-5 days per week with zwift and structured turbo sessions run for my club by a local coach. It's currently £50. It kept me in shape throughout lockdown, and I'm still continuing to use it twice a week for the structured turbo sessions.

Mattk50

MattK50
I've got a non smart elite chrono trainer (second hand for fifty quid before c19) and watch a video off you tube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbBtdw-_SCqGDs6-_awaDg . I try to use it for 90 mins three times a week but I'm not getting anywhere near that in this heat. Indoor cycled in the kichen this morning rather than in the garden.I was sweating buckets within ten minutes. I need to get an air conditioning box, was so hot (can't use a fan as have trigeminal neuralgia in my left eye, fans trigger it)

Top Bottom