training route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclebum

Hi folks. Hope you all had a good Christmas and a slightly belated Happy New Year to you all.

Despite a slight set back in my recovery, I finally got on a gym bike this morning and did just a couple of minutes short 30 mins but stopped at the first twinge, (no point pushing it too much on day 1)

Anyway, I board that India flight just 4 weeks today and some of my fellow mad women need to organise a last minute weekend to get a few miles in and we are having difficulty deciding where to go, any suggestions? My husband suggested Northamptonshire but I wouldn't know where to start looking for a suitable venue!

Requirements are;

1. fairly central so it is accessable for as many as possible as we are all quite spread out around the country.

2. plenty of B&B's for accomadation.:biggrin:

3. we need 2 routes of around 40-50 miles, 1 for each day.:biggrin:

4. Not too hilly (this is my request, well I don't want to give myself a hernia do I?):8:

any suggestions greatly recieved.:biggrin:

Cyclebum:smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Was going to say Derbyshire, until number 4 came up :8: .... loads of 40-50 testing circuits.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Well I've been on bikeradar and identified a couple of possibilities, but how do you get a breakdown of the routes and what to expect? I have looked at the elevations which look scary but how realistic is it looking at that graph as I can't imagine it. :ohmy:

doyler78

cyclebum said:
Well I've been on bikeradar and identified a couple of possibilities, but how do you get a breakdown of the routes and what to expect? I have looked at the elevations which look scary but how realistic is it looking at that graph as I can't imagine it. :ohmy:

The best thing you can do is if you have problems visualising the route is actually to ride it.

That got your attention. Easy way to do this is simply to export the bikely route in google earth format and open the file in google earth (desktop version not the website) and that way you can fly the route. Just adjust the tilt so that it flying along the route rather than over it and that way you get a very good idea of how it looks and feels. Keep an eye on elevation as you are flying and you will get a feel for how quickly it is climbing and how long it is.

Hope that helps a little.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Thanks, I think it helps, must say the thought of flying the route rather than cycling it appeals at htis moment in time;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cyclebum, I wouldn't worry too much about profiles as they always accentuate the hills out of all proportion. Remember that you'll be doing each incline over possibly miles not inches. If you look at profiles of Tour de France stages, it gives the impression that they'd be rock climbing.

Top Bottom