Training with Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Disagree. Pace judgement is a skill you learn from training and racing, and is a constant. I wouldn't be intimidated by a number on a screen to either increase or decrease my effort just because it said so. But I do accept that there are pros and elite amateurs who do use this tool. However when the adrenaline takes over in a race I would be surprised if they stuck to their number so to speak.
Quite right, it’s a new skill in its own right, to fight any urges, you’re adrenaline addled brain has, and obey the machine. However, the machine really does know best, and it would be a brave person who thought it didn’t.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

But your numbers must change as you get fitter stronger etc. That's what RPE is about pace judgement and form. I wonder if you have ever experience that "magic" state called form, that elusive "invincible" thing called form. The time when you are waiting on the line as the countdown reaches 5-4-3-2-1 and you are in the form of your life and you go and nail it, every bend taken perfectly, pushing the limit on the drags knowing that on the downhill coming up you can recover and pick up the pace with a final flourish in the last 200 metres or so. Delicious feeling that stays with you and keeps you awake in bed as you relive every moment again in your head.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Ahh I see, you were just spoiling for an argument
Disappointing reply that. I am coaching my son at the moment from afar. And he is excited about his improvement derived from his figures. He has recently climbed Alp D'Huez on a zwift indoor trainer in a personal best of 51.41 and he has only been riding a few months. he said that he rode each hairpin to what he thought was his FTP 290W, and he felt fitter and stronger then he normally does at the finish when his HR was at max. What would you advise he should do.

Disappointing reply that. I am coaching my son at the moment from afar. And he is excited about his improvement derived from his figures. He has recently climbed Alp D'Huez on a zwift indoor trainer in a personal best of 51.41 and he has only been riding a few months. he said that he rode each hairpin to what he thought was his FTP 290W, and he felt fitter and stronger then he normally does at the finish when his HR was at max. What would you advise he should do.
Leave Zwift in the dustbin where it belongs, get out and ride an actual bike in the real world. If he’s only a young’un, careful route planning is key:

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Leave Zwift in the dustbin where it belongs, get out and ride an actual bike in the real world. If he’s only a young’un, careful route planning is key:
^_^

He's 43 and he has ridden his first road race a couple of weeks ago. He has been invited to train with a local racing team and is the second best climber in the group. He and my daughter in law are doing a team triathlon next week, and he is doing the 40 km bike leg. Yeah i'm proud. He wishes he had started years ago, but now its total dedication.

As your son has shown PM's are very good pacing machines, well done the lad (43 is a lad in my book :okay:) :bravo::bravo::bravo:

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Listen to someone else :laugh:
What's your Cycling CV like then? maybe he should listen to you. And a reply would be appreciated

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
What's your Cycling CV like then? maybe he should listen to you. And a reply would be appreciated
How would my experience be relevant? Your sons doing just fine training with power on Zwift, while you're here arguing against it and claiming "practically useless"

He didn't use it to pace himself. That's the point
Did he not ride each hairpin at 290w? That's pacing,he rode to a number, practically useless?

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

How would my experience be relevant? Your sons doing just fine training with power on Zwift, while you're here arguing against it and claiming "practically useless"

Did he not ride each hairpin at 290w? That's pacing,he rode to a number, practically useless?

I thought just maybe there was some point of reference you could point to so that you could say that I did this and produced this. If you can't then it must be from reading up on someone else's point of reference that has made you an expert on the subject. Hardly has the same impact does it?
A theoretical armchair cyclist with nothing to show for the knowledge must be a tad frustrating.

Splitting quotes from different posts unworthy.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
There it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom