training.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I restarted cycling after a 30 year gap, about 18 months ago,my average speed was just over 12mph. It is now just over 15mph and I don't go out every day as I have said many times before, I am a fair weather cyclist. So my conclusion is that it is not neccessary to train every day to increase your mph. Once you build up you leg muscles to a reasonable level, riding once or twice a week over fair distance, say 20 miles each time, is sufficient to keep you fit. Of course, training for competitions is different all together.

tongskie01

depends on your definition of fit.

Eddie

"Training" means many things. If I went out 3 times per week and did 20 hilly miles at 18mph+, then I would be in much much better shape than someone who did 30 miles 7 days per week at easy 14 - 15mph pace with no hills..

"Training" means many things. If I went out 3 times per week and did 20 hilly miles at 18mph+, then I would be in much much better shape than someone who did 30 miles 7 days per week at easy 14 - 15mph pace with no hills..

Much better shape for what? If you did three hilly 20s per week, then you would become good at riding fast, hilly 20s. The other guy would be good at riding 210 steady miles per week. You would both be in good shape, but for very different purposes. As you say, training means many things.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Talking of hills and the flat. I'm envious of those who have access to nice flat roads. Here in "hilly" east Lancashire you have to seek out flat areas. I've found one or two estates that i can circle around, they aren't much but better than nothing. Oh, and their's the Leeds Liverpool canal as well!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Well I must review my original post. My 15mph average is over my usual 20 miles ride. Yesterday I did 37 miles and my sverage dropped to 13.5 mph. So obviously you must take into account fatigue.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Talking of hills and the flat. I'm envious of those who have access to nice flat roads. Here in "hilly" east Lancashire you have to seek out flat areas. I've found one or two estates that i can circle around, they aren't much but better than nothing. Oh, and their's the Leeds Liverpool canal as well!:rolleyes:

Head down into Blackburn into Preston and across to southport, very flat around there!

Top Bottom