Trains in Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Douggie954

I have just completed my summer tour and I am already planning next years. I am interested in cycling from the Hook of Holland to Hannover and then getting the train back to the Hook. I have looked at the train booking websites and this seems fine but I cannot find any information about taking my bike on the trains. Can anyone give me some information about this or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's a good bikes on trains information page at www.seat61.com

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
When I used to be a contractor it was almost impossible to predict when to buy a return ticket so I never did.
When I wanted to return to the Hook I'd just tip up at the nearest station and book. I can't remember ever having an issue getting my bike booked in from any country.

andym

Über Member
The DeutschBahn website has a search engine that allows you to select trains that have bike carriage facilities. I would make this your first stop if you'll excuse the pun.

Both the German and Dutch railways have pages explaining the rules in English. Just google something like 'bikes german railways'.

DeutscheBahn also have a UK call centre. This might be worth using - IIRC calls cost 5p/minute.

Basically you need to avoid the high speed trains. In Germany these are ICE (interCity Express?) trains and the Netherlands Intercity Direct. The names are a little confusing because in both countries there are normal 'Intercity' trains, and you can take bikes on these trains.

On some trains you may need to reserve a place (this is where the DB call centre may come in handy).

Don't forget you will probably need a bike ticket (unless you have paid for a bike reservation). In the Netherlands a day-ticket for a bike costs an extortionate 6.10€ while in Germany I paid a much more reasonable 1.70€.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont know if you can book a bike online for a train in Germany. I know for certain that you cannot in Denmark. You have to ring the call centre and book it that way.

If you arrive at a train station in Germany or Denmark you can buy tickets for yourself but not your bikes by using the automats. To get a ticket for the bike you need to go into the ticket office. I found the best way is to buy both tickets at the ticket office. The reason I say that is that you may know where you want to go and have it worked out in your head how to get there, but the ticket office people know better than us. They know quicker ways and which stations have lifts for bikes. I have found this out from experience.

If the ticket office is closed, get the tickets for yourself from the automat and explain to the guard on the train about the ticket office. That is the advice I was given. I found German bikes great for bikes as you just push them on the train. Danish trains often have 3 bloody great big steps to drag the bike up.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
@hopless500 and I had issues in Utrecht taking our bikes on the train last year during commuter times. Whether that was because it was a local train or not I am not sure but we had to wait until 7pm before we could travel so do check beforehand.

TBF that is the same in the UK and we did just pitch up expecting the World's biggest cycling nation to let's us travel. Operator error :blush:

andym

Über Member
I had absolutely no problems catching a train from Utrecht to Hoek van Holland last Thursday around midday, so yes I guess it was to do with rush hour. (Train going into Rotterdam maybe?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom