Trains in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Planning a trip to france end of june and flying out to Chambery and then catching a train to Albertville then cycle to Beaufort to start traversing the Alps.Has anyone had an experice of taking their bike on the train. I will be camping so will have have panniers etc

OP
OP
O

ontheroadtofrance

Planning a trip to france end of june and flying out to Chambery and then catching a train to Albertville then cycle to Beaufort to start traversing the Alps.Has anyone had an experice of taking their bike on the train. I will be camping so will have have panniers etc

andym

Über Member
Assuming your question is about bikes that aren't in a bag, you need to get on a TER local train (not a TGV). I've had a quick look at the timetables and the trains seem to be every couple of hours.

You can check train times (although not for June just yet) on www.tgv-europe. Click on the tab marked '+détails' and look for the blue bike pictogram. I've uploaded a screenshot to give you an example of what to look for (the screenshot is from the main SNCF site so is in French - tgv-europe is in English).

And here's a link to some information on what to expect on the train:

http://www.fubicy.org/spip.php?article109

Fubicy is one of the French cyclists' organisation

andym

Über Member
Assuming your question is about bikes that aren't in a bag, you need to get on a TER local train (not a TGV). I've had a quick look at the timetables and the trains seem to be every couple of hours.

You can check train times (although not for June just yet) on www.tgv-europe. Click on the tab marked '+détails' and look for the blue bike pictogram. I've uploaded a screenshot to give you an example of what to look for (the screenshot is from the main SNCF site so is in French - tgv-europe is in English).

And here's a link to some information on what to expect on the train:

http://www.fubicy.org/spip.php?article109

Fubicy is one of the French cyclists' organisation

Top Bottom