Trangia fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcogs

Guru
Brock said:
I haven't tried the water trick... Does it effect the temperature of the flame?
Your avatar provokes me to wonder if urine will produce a higher (or conceivably lower) temperature burn than water?

Brock

redcogs said:
Your avatar provokes me to wonder if urine will produce a higher (or conceivably lower) temperature burn than water?

I can send you some if you want to experiment?

redcogs

Guru
But Brock, if i were to accept a small sample of your urine for test purposes, i could then be said to be 'taking the piss' - not something i do (that often)..:evil:

Brock

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Why?...All I did was skewer a Lamb on a tent peg and hold it over the burner

So, to get back on topic, how much meths did it take before the animal stopped bleeting?

willem

Über Member
There was a test in Backpackinglight.com about fuel for alcohol stoves. The conclusion was to get quality ethanol if you can. It wil burn cleaner, safer and better. Adding water was also tested. Yes the flame will burn cleaner, but a bit more slowly. And you do carry the weight if you add it beforehand.
Willem

Brains

Legendary Member
To carry Trangia fuel I would not bother to water down until after the fuel is in the stove. The 5% does not need to be exact - upto about 15% the fuel still burns.

Just fill up the Trangia and then top it off with water from your water bottle

The place to carry the fuel is on the underside of your down tube. (So the other side of the tube to the normal bottle cage). Just fit a normal bottle cage, most touring bikes have the fuel bottle cage fitting as standard
Do not carry fuel inside the main panners.

Never carry meths (or any liquid fuel) close to food as the smell 'taints' even into sealed containers. (If you want to try it, put a sealed Mars bar and a sealed fuel bottle in an enclosed space for 24hrs. Then try to eat the Mars bar)

You could look up "Greenheat" as an option to power your Trangia - They work quite well, certainly worth buying a couple to experiment with. They have the advantage that you can alter the height of the flame

willem

Über Member
Indeed, carry the fuel in a bottle underneath the down tube. Since the bottle is hanging, the load on the cage is rather heavier, however. So I use a Bikebuddy.
Willem

andym

Über Member
Brains said:
The place to carry the fuel is on the underside of your down tube. (So the other side of the tube to the normal bottle cage). Just fit a normal bottle cage, most touring bikes have the fuel bottle cage fitting as standard

I was wondering about this. When I was in France supermarkets only seemed to sell alcool à bruler by the litre. The litre bottle would just about fit into a bottle cage but looked like it needed some additional support. a bikebuddy would be one good solution but I was wondering what other people did.

classic33

Leg End Member
Chris James said:
5% water is a very good idea as otherwise it soots up like buggery and you get black over everything.

It can help speed the boiling if you don't remove the soot. Works a bit like a heat exchanger. There is a reduction in the heat output, with water added, however you will seldom notice the difference without proper test equipment.

Meths & water in a bottle for ten years now & still usable.