Trangia stoves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought I would make this a seperate thread rather than hijack the fuel bottle one, I love my Trangia stove, sure it is a little bulky but no more than any other decent stove, I have tried them all, gas, pressurized paraffin, but the Trangia is the best IMHO, it lights in any weather, is stable and you can safely cook in the tent porch, plenty of options, I have a deep pan, frying pan and kettle, you can even do toast, fuel is easy to get. Many times have I set up in a windy field with other cyclists and been seen to be enjoying a hot cup of tea while others are still trying to light their gaz stoves.

I am aware there are cheaper copies which are just as good but it had to be genuine Trangia for me for one simple reason, when I was a kid I could not afford one but really wanted one so when I could afford it I bought one. It has travelled the world with me on cycle and motorcycle, up mountains and on canoe adventures, it is the one stove I would recommend to anyone without hesitation.

I'm talking about the meths version.

Chrisz

Über Member
Trangias are indeed excellent bits of kit :biggrin:

I've had one (meths powered) for years. When I first moved into my last house (unfurnished) I used mine for all my cooking for several months untill I could afford a cooker.

It still gets rolled out every now and again when we have the occasional power cut. Love 'em :smile: :smile:

Brock

Yep, I love our Trangia. It served us beautifully for months of camping and even the non stick is still as good as when we started. I carried a Greenheat tin as backup fuel in case of a meths shortage and did indeed resort to it on occasion.

Some pics:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=254&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3964&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9912&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think I must have missed something by the rave reviews the Trangia gets - I bought a mini Trangia a couple of years ago but it took 10 minutes to boil a couple of mugs of tea indoors so I went back to the Gaz.
Was I just too impatient or is there a maxi version I should have got?
You can't all be wrong!

They are the best.
Used them extensivley over the last 5 years. Never fail to light and nothing to go wrong. Using alchohol a brulee in Europe means faster cooking and less sooting. Oh and its mighty cheap.

stewie griffin

Über Member
rich p said:
I think I must have missed something by the rave reviews the Trangia gets - I bought a mini Trangia a couple of years ago but it took 10 minutes to boil a couple of mugs of tea indoors so I went back to the Gaz.
Was I just too impatient or is there a maxi version I should have got?
You can't all be wrong!

Are you in a rush when touring? When cooking, relax, have a beer :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
stewie griffin said:
Are you in a rush when touring? When cooking, relax, have a beer :biggrin:

No, I'm a relaxed tourer:biggrin:
It's just that I'm an impatient tea drinker!

I'm willing to be convinced but if it takes 10 minutes to make a cuppa how long to cook a bowl of pasta?

At that rate it would take 2 hours to cook Brock's lamb cutlets (I like them rare:biggrin:)

Bodhbh

Guru
Brock said:
Yep, I love our Trangia...
Jeez, you should work for their marketing department, they're great photos. I've had zero interest in cooking while camping, would rather either go to pub for a hot meal or eat museli etc inbetween proper stops, but that's a great advert for having a go at it for it's own sake.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
rich p said:
No, I'm a relaxed tourer:biggrin:
It's just that I'm an impatient tea drinker!

I'm willing to be convinced but if it takes 10 minutes to make a cuppa how long to cook a bowl of pasta?

At that rate it would take 2 hours to cook Brock's lamb cutlets (I like them rare:biggrin:)

There'e lots of things that you can do while drumming up a cup of tea - the Trangia is the first bit of kit that I set up on reaching my pitch at a camp site. By the time the tent is erected, in much less than 10 minutes, the water is boiling and ready for mashing. By the time I've inflated the sleeping mat and thrown the sleeping bag into the tent the tea is ready.

It's possible to cook great meals in reasonable times with the Trangia. Pasta featured prominently in my LEJOG and JOGLE rides the quick cook varieties don't take long especially if they are put into the cold water and brought to a boil.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Brock said:
Yep, I love our Trangia.
Some pics:
some pics demonstrating the low heat output of the trangia.

I think something that had actually got past the raw stage might have been a better advert.:biggrin:

For rich p:
Once it's up to heat, stuff actually cooks just as quick. So your tea takes 10 minutes instead of 5 minutes, but cooking pasta or rice will still take only 5 minutes extra.

Brock

Bodhbh said:
Jeez, you should work for their marketing department, they're great photos. I've had zero interest in cooking while camping, would rather either go to pub for a hot meal or eat museli etc inbetween proper stops, but that's a great advert for having a go at it for it's own sake.

Thanks. Food is a big part of travelling for me, I like to find local produce and delicacies and do my best to cook them.

The first is local lamb and organic garlic that came with its long green tops and mud from Chichester. The second is lovely big prawns and parsley butter in Isle de bugue, France and the last is a sizzling tin of Spanish octopus, somewhere near Seville.

A favourite of ours was pork chops with Roquefort and Normandy cider sauce which went down beautifully.

We found couscous or boil in the bag rice would cook and stay warm in the pan while the main stew or whatever cooked.

Brock

andrew_s said:
some pics demonstrating the low heat output of the trangia.

I think something that had actually got past the raw stage might have been a better advert.;)

Well when the food is cooked I'm generally too busy shoving it down my face to be messing around taking snaps!

Here's a spicy chicken stew that has a bit of steam coming off it if that helps?
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2957&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg

ASC1951

Guru
Brock said:
Food is a big part of travelling for me, I like to find local produce and delicacies and do my best to cook them.
Absolutely. The big advantage of a Trangia is that you can actually cook on it, not just blast heat into things. People who get wound up by an extra five or ten minutes probably shouldn't be cycle touring.

Top Bottom