Trans Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

This subject has become so confusing with people meaning all sorts of things that I no longer even know if you mean your post to say that you are on the side of British Cycling or Sharon Davies and Daley Thompson!:smile::laugh:

I can't really see this thread going anywhere, except perhaps to NACA, as there is no new information available that could make many people change their positions.

I suspect that it can only go down the route of :boxing:I'm right, no I'm right and you are a ....

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Boopop

Guru
Imagine starting a discussion on a cycling forum by posting a link to a website that regularly and consistently works to stoke up hatred towards cyclists.

1644140182917.png

Take it at face value - forget about Daily Mail or who posted it. Be civil and just offer your opinion. And this is about cycling and this is a cycling forum.

It's the same issue that IAAF and Seb Coe struggled with and found a path way for the female athletes to compete on a level playing ground. I think its about time that Women are equally represented in Admin, Governance and Board roles in British Cycling. They need to keep up with the times.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And so the destruction of Womens rights in cycling starts .....
If you think the "destruction of women's rights" in cycling sport is starting, you haven't been paying attention to women's cycling.

Just off the top of my head I can think about the following issues that I've read about lately: Lack of investment, lack of available events, lack of event funding/promotion, lack of TV coverage, disproportionately low/complete absence of prize money, deprioirtisation of women's cycling by paternalistic authorities, stage event length restrictions, sexist bullying from coaches, pro riders being paid a pittance, pro riders not being paid at all. Things are slowly improving in some areas.

And then there are endemic problems in cycling sport that affect both men and women, but where women and men may be affected differently: Doping/ therapeutic drug abuse and eating disorders.

These would be better starting points for defending women's rights in cycling.

I've just been reading Queens of Pain https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/stories/queens-of-pain a book highlighting some of the greats of women's cyclng. Some I'd heard of, but many - quite shamefully - I hadn't. It's a good book and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the history of women's cycling.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If you think the "destruction of women's rights" in cycling sport is starting, you haven't been paying attention to women's cycling.

Just off the top of my head I can think about the following issues that I've read about lately: Lack of investment, lack of available events, lack of event funding/promotion, lack of TV coverage, disproportionately low/complete absence of prize money, deprioirtisation of women's cycling by paternalistic authorities, stage event length restrictions, sexist bullying from coaches, pro riders being paid a pittance, pro riders not being paid at all. Things are slowly improving in some areas.

These would be better starting points for defending women's rights in cycling.

I've just been reading Queens of Pain https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/stories/queens-of-pain a book highlighting some of the greats of women's cyclng. Some I'd heard of, but many - quite shamefully - I hadn't. It's a good book and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the history of women's cycling.
Exactly.

As if trans rights were anything like top of a list of concerns for women when they're cycling..

Whether competitively or not

There's plenty of women, who won't even go out on a bike by themselves for fear of harassment , or worse.

And for the avoidance of doubt, no they're not being harassed by the trans community

But sudden faux concern when it's something the 'anti woke' brigade can get behind.

The problems are far bigger than that..

Funny how an ageism thread , can chunter on just fine

Start one on actual sexism in cycling.
Or just sexism in general??

Gosh no..
That would be faarrr to controversial..

Ajax Bay

Guru
British Cycling (rather than clickbait tabloid, which I have not accessed, on principle, and I am not a member).
This seems to be about the acceptable ways of giving feedback and the portrayal of BC's policy as trying to deter public discussion by typifying it as "hate", in particular "the right of women to object to men competing in events" [Events deliberately restricted to certain defined participant categories so that there's fair competition.]
British Cycling policy says "We are fully committed to ensuring that cycling is a welcoming and inclusive place for all, and take a zero-tolerance approach to all cases of discriminatory language or behaviour."

Key changes for British Cycling members?
"The new policy removes any requirement for trans or non-binary members to complete a declaration stating how they would like to be identified if applying for (or if they have an existing) Ride, Commute or Fan membership.
(does not include a Race Licence). . . recreational/non-competitive activities
"Trans or non-binary members wishing to obtain Race memberships (either Gold, Silver or Bronze) will still be required to submit a signed declaration that their gender identity is different to their sex recorded at birth"
What about competitive events?
"Transgender and Non-Binary Participation Policy was designed to be as inclusive as possible. . . . updated policy we continue to follow the UCI regulations introduced in March 2020, which are based on objective scientific research and driven by a desire to guarantee fairness and safety within the sport (UCI Cycling Regulations Chapter V Eligibility for Transgender Athletes 13.5.002). For this reason, testosterone levels remain the primary method of determining which members are eligible to compete in the male and female categories."
Edit: Cross-posted with @mudsticks to whom I make a special pretty please plea: could you not put so many 'line feeds' in so we can read your posts as a whole on screen.

Last edited:

Lookrider

Would it be feasible for all sports institutions to embrace "equality" and advertise for a transgender coach to coach transgender and for then same people to compete against only other transgender peoples raise there own funds and sponsors own games etc the same as everyone else? Maybe then born women will get to compete against born women and the transgender competition will just fade away
Institutions could take the moral high ground by saying they tried to get them involved but it didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom