Trans-europe ideas please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roshi chris

Myself and a few friends will be undertaking a trip this summer (we were thinking September would be a good time) for charity, and I am just trying to think of some ideas.

All of us are reasonably fit without being experienced distance cyclists (i'm probably the least fit at the moment as I am still returning from a couple of big injuries over last two years), and I reckon three weeks' off work is probably as much as we can hope for. Initial thoughts were John o Groats to Lands End, or something a bit more challenging like London to Milan or London to Gibraltar.

Anyone got any other ideas? Also how long would it take to go say 1500 miles (London-Gibraltar). I am guessing that about 60 miles a day is realistic? Or can we do more *hard to advise I know without knowing how fit we all are*

Thanks in advance for any ideas/ advice.

Chris

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Get on a Plane...fly to Bremen...follow the rivers south the Bodensee, then turn right and ride to Basel, then ride down to the Med from there....I reckon 3 weeks at about 100-120km a day ish....then fly home from Montpellier....

...I havent ridden any other routes so I can tcomment on those.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Ferry to the Hook of Holland, N Sea bike route to Bremen as Big says, Weser route down to Hannoversche Münden, Fulda route to the Rhön hills, over the hills and down the Sinntal (Sinn valley) to the Main, down the Main to Wertheim, Romantische Straße to Füssen at the base of the Alps, Via Claudia Augusta to Venice. Fly back.

That should do ya. Each route has its own Bikeline guide (pub: Esterbauer Verlag) except for the Sinntal bit where you just buy a cycling map in a local bookshop.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Andy in Sig said:
Ferry to the Hook of Holland, N Sea bike route to Bremen as Big says, Weser route down to Hannoversche Münden, Fulda route to the Rhön hills, over the hills and down the Sinntal (Sinn valley) to the Main, down the Main to Wertheim, Romantische Straße to Füssen at the base of the Alps, Via Claudia Augusta to Venice. Fly back.

That should do ya. Each route has its own Bikeline guide (pub: Esterbauer Verlag) except for the Sinntal bit where you just buy a cycling map in a local bookshop.

It is worth checking out the Esterbauer Verlag web site, ok I ken it is mostly in German, but if you are willing to dig about a bit there are some really good route maps and route profiles. Some of the guides which Andy suggest are in English as well, see here.

OP
OP
roshi chris

roshi chris

Cheers guys, I like the look of Eurovelo 6, particularly the later stages. I will have a chat with the other guys.

What about cycling Asia?
for example Beijing - Shaghai - HK. Or in the more easily travelled Sout east asian corner Bangkok to Singapore!
A bit more of an adventure i would say!
I am about to embark on a trip from Kunming through the rest of China back to the Netherlands (my home country) on a 12-person bike.

I am hooked to asia so can def. recommend it!

fastbreaknancy

Eurovelo6in Eastern Europe

I am planning on riding Eurovelo6 from Budapest to the Black Sea summer 2010. How complete and easy to follow is that section?
How easy is it to find a place to stay without reservations?
We do not want to camp. Direct emails from those who have ridden this section would surely be great!
fastbreaknancy@hotmail.com

Chris

if you are interested in the bottom end of EV6 have a look at the following site, which provides a fair bit of detail both on the route and lodgings. Budapest is fairly easy to get to but it will be a bit harder getting back (or vice versa if you come up from the Danube delta)

www.danube-info.org.

Also lots on crazyguyonabike including my own small but atypical time from Budapest to Belgrade.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=5489&v=x

Wherever you end up going have fun.xx(

Renard said:
Take the Trans Europe Express...

Sorry....

trans_europe_express.jpg

Top Bottom