Transcontinental Race No9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The ninth TCR got underway at 10pm on Sunday night. This years route is from Belgium to Greece. It started off in wet conditions and that has not changed. There were a couple of crashes in the first night, ending with one rider breaking his arm and another breaking his collar bone.

The current leader is Christof Strasser has covered 832km in 1 day 5 hours and is closing in on CP1. He has ridden 1026km in a 24 hour period in the past and is 6 times winner of Race across America.

https://dotwatcher.cc/race/transcontinental-race-2023

Last edited:

nagden

Über Member
I have just seen the latest. He has covered 1005 km. In just over 40 hrs He has only stopped for 3hrs 43m. An incredible performance. I am not sure that it is safe to push that hard but he has form for that kind of performance.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have just seen the latest. He has covered 1005 km. In just over 40 hrs He has only stopped for 3hrs 43m. An incredible performance. I am not sure that it is safe to push that hard but he has form for that kind of performance.

I agree with you. He is very experienced at this. Most riders are not and may try to copy him. A continuous 4 hour break in every 24 hours, would be a reasonable suggestion, in my opinion. It would also add another element to race planning.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Strasser won the last one didn't he?

Are there any last infrequent ferry crossings near the end this year? Or is it just the infernal heat of southern Europe to act as the great leveler?

robjh

Legendary Member
I've been busy watching two people I know on the North Cape 4000 over the last week, but hadn't even noticed until now that the Transcontinental is running at the same too.
Aargh, too much dotwatching to do now!

GuyBoden

Guru
I hope it doesn't have the same ferry timetable dilemma as last year. Ruin it for me.................

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are spoilers allowed in this forum, then? I guess it's not like there's daily highlights shows or anything.

The day 8 report https://www.transcontinental.cc/report/2023/8/1/day-8-greece-lightning suggests he may have travelled even further, to recover his tracker after a crash.

Anyone got the CP3 cutoff time to hand? I'm guessing a lot of riders are going to be on the cusp there ...
CP3 closes 03.08 noon CEST
CP4 closes 05.08 noon
Finish closes 07.08 23.50
(taken from a pic of the winner's brevet card)

Top Bottom