Transporting bikes.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevie135

Regular
Hello
This question may seem out of place perhaps however..... Does anyone have any experience of fitting a bike rack to an Audi A6 saloon?

My wife and I are really getting into our cycling but want to be able to travel a little so we can experience different areas etc however no one seems to sell a carrier for my car - very frustrating.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Broadside

Guru
The boot mounted carriers are not useable with all cars especially if there is a lot of plastic trim.

Have you looked getting roof bars and then putting bike carriers on top? Have a look at roofbox.co.uk

Alternatively get a towbar and then put a Thule or Atera cycle rack on it, this is a great solution but can work out pricey if you also need to get a towbar fitted. I would have done this but for the cost, I went with Thule roofbars and Thule 591 bike carriers instead.

tahir

Regular
hi

i have a an audi a6 saloon 2007 model

i was recommended to go onto Thule website and it has a fitting guide for ur car

select your car and it will give u an idea what u will need in terms of fixing kits and locks etc

i have used that list and bought mine as and when they have come up cheap and local to me( best to shop around on net/ebay as items are pricey

but my friend has the Thule system and it is good quality and easy to use

i am hoping to put my roof rack on to my car in the next week so if ur car is same let me know and i will put photos up etc

hope that helps

tahir
blackburn

OP
OP
Stevie135

Stevie135

Regular
Thanks for the advice - I think the roof bar option may be the way to go. I can get something for around £200 that way (halfords). The tow bar option whilst prefered would run to £600!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I got some roof bars from Halfords a couple of years ago. I was dithering over the Thule or Halfords own choice, when the (for once) experienced and trusty Halfords employee informed me that they were essentially the same model, and were in fact made for Halfords by Thule. No idea if this was true or not, but they've been fine, and were significantly cheaper:smile:

-----------------------------------
Sent mobile phone stylee

OP
OP
Stevie135

Stevie135

Regular
Many thanks for all the advice - I've just pleaced an order - thanks to Mr Finch (and his misplaced childhood) for the link. Only very slightly more than Halfords so I'm well pleased! Combination of Thule and Atera, fingers crossed they work as good as they look!

Cheers

Steve

Falwheeler

I used to use rear mounted carriers but never really liked them and my new car needed a special relay for the light board costing £90 so I bought roof bars and carrier, best bit of kit I've bought in a long time. Just don't forget the bikes are up there when going under barriers or in car parks

Top Bottom