Transporting kids bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yazzoo

Hi All,

I now have to transport my sons bike on a weekly basis to his triathlon club and I'm wondering how you do yours. I've two thule 591s on the roof but its a 20" http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/mtx.150/179/14292/ so it doesn't fit. We have an estate car which I've been wedging it in the back of but its a bit too big to comfortably go in and overtime it comes out the brakes need adjusting as it's been in a heap in the car! I've tried putting it in between the front and rear seats but with son in the car as well there's not a great deal of room for handlebars and greasy chain etc! The problem is going to get worse before it gets better as I imagine he will have bigger bikes before he has a bike big enough to go on the current rack.

Putting the back seats down isn't an option really either, we have two dogs who again are regularly transported in the car and faffing about putting the dog guard in and out every few days is a hassle I could do without!

So how do you transport yours? Is there another type of rack I can add on the roof that will hold a kids bike? Or do I need something on the back? We've no towbar so those fittings aren't optional. The current bike has a y shaped frame and is small so the kinds of rear rack where you thread the top tube on aren't an option either. Help!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I get kids bikes on my racks easily - they are ebay specials.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL...RE-BIKE-CARRIER-UPRIGHT-MOUNTED-/361195277119

$_12.JPG

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The Exodus carriers are very nice , i also just bought the cheap one as well so i hope to get 3 bikes on my car roof eventually .

Another option is to boot mount a carrier that they hang on till the bikes are big enough ?, i have considered this as an option as eventually i can see me needing to transport 4 bikes so maybe 2 on the roof and 2 on a good boot rack.

Top Bottom