Trapped Nerve in Lower Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have had it twice.

About 30 years ago I was tackled at rugby. I got up ok but 20 seconds later I was flat on my back and couldn't move. I think that took about 8 weeks before I was fully fit again. The last time was 2 months ago. I sneezed and that was it. I was like a crippled old man for weeks.

I found ibruprofen, a hot water bottle and an electronic tens machine helped. But rest is the best thing for it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The CT Scan shows a "Prolapsed Disc", so I've been scheduled for a antiinflammatory injection into the spine next week.

Ouch !!

The CT Scan shows a "Prolapsed Disc", so I've been scheduled for a antiinflammatory injection into the spine next week.

How are things now, JtB?

I thought I had slipped a disc in October (and had the pain and agony you describe) but the results (albeit only vague) of the MR I had before Christmas are a bit unclear (due to chiropractor not receiving the results, just heard the report read out) over the phone) seems to suggest I don't have a slipped disc.

But I do have 'foot drop' to a lesser extent and numbness and pins & needles in my lower shin, top of foot and big toe and the next two. I should get the results in a day or two.

Hope your recovery is going according to plan.

ozboz

Guru
How are things now, JtB?

I thought I had slipped a disc in October (and had the pain and agony you describe) but the results (albeit only vague) of the MR I had before Christmas are a bit unclear (due to chiropractor not receiving the results, just heard the report read out) over the phone) seems to suggest I don't have a slipped disc.

But I do have 'foot drop' to a lesser extent and numbness and pins & needles in my lower shin, top of foot and big toe and the next two. I should get the results in a day or two.

This is uncanny , I was told by a choiro'r that I had L5 herniated ,
And now it seems I havn't, but do have all the other symptoms you decribe , foot drop , numbness etc , and muscle atrophy , nearest Ive got to a diagnosis is Peroneal Nerve problems , so Im working on it ,
I was out on the bike today , a bit hard under load , but manageable , another longer one tom'w

Last edited:
This is uncanny , I was told by a choiro'r that I had L5 herniated ,
And now it seems I havn't, but do have all the other symptoms you decribe , foot drop , numbness etc , and muscle atrophy , nearest Ive got to a diagnosis is Peronial Nerve problems , so Im working on it ,
I was out on the bike today , a bit hard under load , but manageable , another longer one tom'w

Seems like we've got a very similar diagnosis. Hope you heal well.

I'll post the result of the MR when I get it.

Keep plugging away.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
How are things now, JtB?

@Dayvo et. al., I had an epidural on 5th November and immediately the pain subsided to a tolerable ache, and I could cut out the Tramadol entirely. The subsequent exercises prescribed by the physiotherapist started to aggravate the problem again and so they were tweaked a bit. I am now back at work again and doing regular workouts on my turbo trainer.

Apart from the numbness that remains in my right leg and foot everything else seems to have sorted itself out so I feel very fortunate indeed to have emerged in one piece from this prolapsed disc.

I can't remember if I mentioned this previously, but my problems started the day after I hit a huge pothole on my bike which jarred my whole body, so I shall be taking special care in future to avoid all potholes and not bothering to push my average speeds anymore.

I very much hope you get a diagnosis and solution very soon. All the best.

Based on my own experience, I would urge anyone to get the numbness, pins and needles checked out properly.
I left it too long and even now after surgery (that has a thread of its own) the nerves that was trapped and inflamed are damaged beyond repair , I am left with slight foot drop and constant pins and needles and numbness to varying degrees.not to mention the constant back pain,
knowing what I know now I would never have gone ahead with surgery , but hindsight, as they say is a wonderful thing, and everyone is different.

Sorry to hear that, roadrash. Operations are the last resort, but if you've tried everything else, to no avail, then surgery seems like the answer.

My chiropractor rang today. It seems as though the 'channels' in the relevant back/vertebrae areas are quite narrow and the nerve has been 'squeezed' somewhat. He's optimistic that the inflammation will eventually disappear and that I should be fine (fingers crossed).

At the moment, I have numbness, pins and needles and burning feelings in my lower left leg, foot and toes. Plus a 'drop foot' where I am unable to lift the toes of my left foot up at all.

I've already booked an appointment in the middle of March, but that's mainly for him to assess any improvement or worsening of the condition.

Backs aren't to be messed around with. How I (anybody)survived playing rugby for 20 years amazes me.

Get fit and pain-free, people.

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
Had 4 ops on my lower back including a fusion.. I now make airport metal detectors go off..lol Back pain is something you just get on with..it's the pain in the legs that's the crippler. Any pain in the legs is a must to see a doctor. Sympathise with all of you with back issues.

Top Bottom