Trapped Nerve in Lower Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I've had facet joint pain "on and off" over the years, but 12 days ago I was completely incapacitated by a trapped nerve in the lower back. I've never known pain like it before. I'm currently on Tramadol and Naproxen, but the only relief I get is when I'm led down on my back. As soon as I put any weight on my legs I get severe pain in the lower back and down both legs. I've been referred to a spinal consultant for a scan, so I'm currently waiting for that appointment to come through. In the meantime I'm both off work and off my bike since I can only stand for a few minutes before the pain becomes unbearable.

Just wondering if anyone has had anything similar, and how long it took to get mobile again with the pain under control.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
GWS

Reactions: JtB

screenman

Legendary Member
Ouch, I know that pain well and feel extremely sorry for you. Mine was T7 and I was told a surgeon that I should have 6 months off work, yeh like that was going to happen seeing as I am self employed, I ended up with a month off and a further 6 months of pain, well I say 6 months it still niggles now 20 years later.

Take care and I wish you all the best.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

looking at the possibility of more surgery in the near future as the bone graft hasnt taken as well as they would like :sad:
Sorry to hear that, I saw your June update and hoped that things might have improved for you by now.

doog

[QUOTE="JtB, post: 4467628, member: 2144"
Just wondering if anyone has had anything similar, and how long it took to get mobile again with the pain under control.[/QUOTE]

Did anything cause it ? Did you lift something... I had the same in 2008...had two spinal surgeries since, lost my job / career in the meantime and now looking at a fusion.

If it is a disc (and I suspect it may be) then please give it time and delay going down the surgical route, most heal within reason but surgery opens up a raft of complications.

[QUOTE="JtB, post: 4467628, member: 2144"
Just wondering if anyone has had anything similar, and how long it took to get mobile again with the pain under control.

Did anything cause it ? Did you lift something... I had the same in 2008...had two spinal surgeries since, lost my job / career in the meantime and now looking at a fusion.

If it is a disc (and I suspect it may be) then please give it time and delay going down the surgical route, most heal within reason but surgery opens up a raft of complications.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^i second that^^^^^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll third 'wait' and treat conservatively. It's major surgery with risk of paralysis.

I opted to lie on my back in hospital for over 6 weeks and wear a spinal brace for 4 months rather than surgery. Even the consultant said that was the right choice. I believe they usually do surgery on the type of unstable chance fracture I had. I'd rather have the back flexibility and no metalwork.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

A CT scan 18 months ago revealed Facet Joint Syndrome, but there was no evidence at the time of any trapped nerves. Generally I manage my back condition with regular core muscle exercises, regular breaks away from my desk and lunch time walks. I think there were a combination of things that caused this "flare up" including getting a bit lazy with my back management routines and straining my back gardening. My GP thinks it's the back inflammation that's currently trapping some nerves, but after 12 days of medication and relaxation it still hurts like mad whenever I put any weight on my legs, but thankfully nowhere near like 12 days ago when the paramedics were called to get me up out of my bed. I am very grateful indeed for all your shared experiences because it certainly puts into context for me the seriousness of going down the surgical route.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Still got the pain and I've just seen the spinal consultant. Based in his initial examination he believes I have a slipped disc.

Waiting now for an appointment for a CT scan to confirm the diagnosis. An MRI scan would have been preferable, but I can't have an MRI due to having a pacemaker.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

The CT Scan shows a "Prolapsed Disc", so I've been scheduled for a antiinflammatory injection into the spine next week.

Top Bottom