Traumatic Incident Today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh, I thought something really serious happened like breaking the key on your tin of corned beef.
That'd be tears down the telephone trying to explain that one. Best not think about it.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Tea and coffee don't taste right If you use water boiled in a saucepan.
Yeah, freshly drawn water, only boiled once and poured immediately into a pre-warmed pot containing tea leaves. Blah blah blah.

SCRATCH THAT. Most of the tea being drunk in this country is in the workplace, usually with the cheapest tea bags (catering pack), thrown in a vaguely clean mug and covered with "hot"(ish) water from a small urn, followed by a bit of mashing with the help of a spoon. There ain't much finesse in that scenario.

If you're posh the milk goes in LAST!!!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah, freshly drawn water, only boiled once and poured immediately into a pre-warmed pot containing tea leaves. Blah blah blah.

SCRATCH THAT. Most of the tea being drunk in this country is in the workplace, usually with the cheapest tea bags (catering pack), thrown in a vaguely clean mug and covered with "hot"(ish) water from a small urn, followed by a bit of mashing with the help of a spoon. There ain't much finesse in that scenario.

You in this catering lark.

If the milk went in first, how'd you warm the cup first? Milk on it's own into a warm cup, it'll curdle.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
You in this catering lark.

If the milk went in first, how'd you warm the cup first? Milk on it's own into a warm cup, it'll curdle.
Expect you use skimmed milk. You make me sick!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
When I first got to the States I was a bit concerned about how civilized it was... not a 'leccy kettle to be seen in the early 1990's. Everyone would put a kettle on a cooker and wait (interminably) for the kettle to boil.... Mind you, even after the water had boiled, it was just the beginning of a greater horror perpetrated by the "tea" they used (handy travel hint to anyone visiting the States: never, ever, ever, ever order a cup of tea at a restaurant or coffee shop. Trust me. "Friends don't let friends drink Salada" is what I say) Apparently they must have thrown all the decent tea into Boston Harbour and then they forgot to order some decent replacement stuff.

On the positive side, electric kettles are now much more common place -I even have a choice of quite a few to buy now. And I can get hold of PG Tips and Yorkshire without too much trouble either.

So I sympathize with your dilemma. Hope you got back safely from Currys!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

Thank God I hate tea.:okay:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I hate it when an appliance packs in. You have to go out and spend a wad of cash. But at the end of the day the house looks just the same.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think I'd buy a kettle for putting on the stove if my leci kettle packed up. Years ago we had one with a whistle and it was quite appealing

Drago

Legendary Member
When I first got to the States I was a bit concerned about how civilized it was... not a 'leccy kettle to be seen in the early 1990's. Everyone would put a kettle on a cooker and wait (interminably) for the kettle to boil.... Mind you, even after the water had boiled, it was just the beginning of a greater horror perpetrated by the "tea" they used (handy travel hint to anyone visiting the States: never, ever, ever, ever order a cup of tea at a restaurant or coffee shop. Trust me. "Friends don't let friends drink Salada" is what I say) Apparently they must have thrown all the decent tea into Boston Harbour and then they forgot to order some decent replacement stuff.

On the positive side, electric kettles are now much more common place -I even have a choice of quite a few to buy now. And I can get hold of PG Tips and Yorkshire without too much trouble either.

So I sympathize with your dilemma. Hope you got back safely from Currys!
When I worked I'm the States I had an electric kettle. Start it going for a brew and the lights in my apartment would go noticeably dim. It was strange living in a building with 120v mains.

Top Bottom