Traumatic Incident Today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
When I first got to the States I was a bit concerned about how civilized it was... not a 'leccy kettle to be seen in the early 1990's. Everyone would put a kettle on a cooker and wait (interminably) for the kettle to boil.... Mind you, even after the water had boiled, it was just the beginning of a greater horror perpetrated by the "tea" they used (handy travel hint to anyone visiting the States: never, ever, ever, ever order a cup of tea at a restaurant or coffee shop. Trust me. "Friends don't let friends drink Salada" is what I say) Apparently they must have thrown all the decent tea into Boston Harbour and then they forgot to order some decent replacement stuff.
When we go abroad we take our own tea bags. Recently stayed in a decent hotel in Majorca and decided to just try the ones supplied. Dreadful! Even using 2 teabags in the small cup it was like dishwater.
The machine coffee was nice though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think I'd buy a kettle for putting on the stove if my leci kettle packed up. Years ago we had one with a whistle and it was quite appealing
I have a telephone with a round dial on the front if you are interested 😊

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have a telephone with a round dial on the front if you are interested 😊

Joking aside, Mrs-PP did a work jolly to one of those "escape room" events. One of the puzzles involved a traditional telephone and the "youngsters", (not all that young really), couldn't fathom it at all.

And back in the day, I worked on "digital loop disconnect" signalling - whereby dial pulses were encoded into sequences of 1's and 0's down the signalling timeslot on an E1 trunk. What a bizarre thing that was

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Thank God I hate tea.:okay:

:smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yeah, freshly drawn water, only boiled once and poured immediately into a pre-warmed pot containing tea leaves. Blah blah blah.

SCRATCH THAT. Most of the tea being drunk in this country is in the workplace, usually with the cheapest tea bags (catering pack), thrown in a vaguely clean mug and covered with "hot"(ish) water from a small urn, followed by a bit of mashing with the help of a spoon. There ain't much finesse in that scenario.

If you're posh the milk goes in LAST!!!!
Posh or not - If you make your tea in the mug - teabag + boiling water - the milk must go in last, It won't brew otherwise - and after you've removed the teabag of course:cuppa:.

Slick

Guru
Posh or not - If you make your tea in the mug - teabag + boiling water - the milk must go in last, It won't brew otherwise - and after you've removed the teabag of course:cuppa:.
Just to clarify, using a teabag definitely precludes you from being posh. :okay:

Top Bottom