travel on velodissee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

escounpo

Hello to everyone:smile:

Anyone travel on velodissee ?:smile:

I and my girlfriend are thinking to doing it this summer, for reasons of time we can do it only from roscoff to nantes or from nantes to bayonne,

what do you recommend?

thank you so much!

robing

Über Member
Hi, it's a nice route. I did it from Biarritz to La Rochelle then headed inland. A good tip I found was a cycle path running parallel in some places but slightly more inland and easier cycling as sometimes the Velodyssey itself can be quite up and down by the dunes and also tree roots can make the path a bit bumpy. There are plenty of campsites and you can wild camp easy enough if you don't mind the sangliers ;-)
I would avoid the peak holiday season from mid July and August as gets really busy.

RobinS

Veteran
We did it from Roscoff to the Dune du Pilat a couple of years ago en-route to the Med and Spain.
Roscoff to Nantes, and Nantes to Bayonne are completely different.
Roscoff-Nantes is inland, a few bits of road, cycletrack on disused railway line, but mainly canal side trail, quite nice but untypical of the Velodysse as a whole.
Nantes to Bayonne I would say is much nicer, particularly if you like the coast. If camping as we did there are loads of sites on this stretch, but as robing says, you need to avoid the French holidays, as all coastal areas in France are absolutely rammed then - and campsites normally put up prices - near the coast they can easily more than double.

We did it from Roscoff to the Dune du Pilat a couple of years ago en-route to the Med and Spain.
Roscoff to Nantes, and Nantes to Bayonne are completely different.
Roscoff-Nantes is inland, a few bits of road, cycletrack on disused railway line, but mainly canal side trail, quite nice but untypical of the Velodysse as a whole.
Nantes to Bayonne I would say is much nicer, particularly if you like the coast. If camping as we did there are loads of sites on this stretch, but as robing says, you need to avoid the French holidays, as all coastal areas in France are absolutely rammed then - and campsites normally put up prices - near the coast they can easily more than double.

As above!
2 totally different routes in 1!
You want inland or coast? Make that choice and your route is decided.
From memory, less choice of campsites Roscoff-Nantes, but campsites along the coast can get expensive. As can everything else!

Top Bottom