Travelling / Flying with bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abrooks100

Im after some advice.

Im going to the South of France in 2 weeks. I would really like to take my bike (Specialized Allez 18) with me however Im concerned having never took a bike on a plane before. Is it worth it? I am pretty new to cycling and am taking part in my first Sportives this summer and thought some cycling on Holiday could be ideal training.
We go to the South of France every year and I cycled over their last year so I know the roads pretty well. We drove all the way last year though and the bike was on a cycle rack.
We have left a very old Road Bike over there however Im not sure I would be happy doing too much training on it, Frame is too large for me, very old gearing system, no SPD's. Only really good enough for going to get the shopping.

My concerns are;

- Flying with the bike, what do I need with regards to cycle cases etc? & how much could I get a reasonable case / bag for?

- The disassembly of my bike and the reassembly of the bike as I have never took it to pieces yet, would I have to do much?

- If I don't take my bike I will miss 2 full weeks of training leading up to my Sportives.

I would be grateful of some advice / previous experience on this subject.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've taken a bike many times using a soft, padded bag without a problem. You need to remove the wheels, turn the handle bars and swivel them under the top bar, remove pedals, and probably best to also take off the rear derailleur and wrap it in bubble wrap and tape it inside the rear forks.
You can also pipe wrap the tubes and I also remove the skewers to stop them getting bent.
I use a cut piece of threaded bolt with nuts to keep the forks apart without the wheels. Others have a different method.

vickster

Legendary Member
There's an article on travelling and cycle cases in this month's Cycling Active magazine - might be worth getting hold of a copy in WHSmiths

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wiggle have a deal on their very good dhb bike case at the moment. This would be a good investment for you.

I borrowed one of these to take my bike to South Africa and it was excellent. Dismantling and reassembling the bike took about 15 minutes.

thanos

so, the bag is checked in, and it contains the wheelset / frame and possibly (or not smaller parts) in a bike bag (or a canvas one?).
dont they get crashed or bashed around - especially carbon parts (ive seen how bags get tossed / maybe the luggage carriers are only tossing or kicking the heavy looking ones :smile:)? it would seem that bubble wrapping them would be a must.

interesting subject, thanks for the advice..

davidg

I havent done this, but have heard Monarch are a disaster and should be avoided. I was looking to get a soft one for putting in the car (to take to france)/train type of thing, so would be interested in any recommendations.

I would have thought a hard case be more appropriate for a plan, but if packed well enough...

the one I was looking at for my purpose was this...
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=B0091
would be interested in any feedback...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Elsted_Bike_Box/5360026102/

This box is rigid enough that once you've packed the bike and wheels with some foam and bubble wrap you can stuff in your helmet, shoes and other kit, close it and relax. It's too big and heavy for the handlers to throw; you're looking at around 28 kilos even with a carbon bike and some kit inside.

....as for Monarch being a disaster, since when did airlines handle their own luggage? It's airport employees who damage luggage.

There is one school of thought that says remove the pedals, turn the bars and hand the bike over unprotected so that the handlers have no choice but to lie it on top of other luggage. I did this to Malaga once with my MTB and the bike was fine but for a road bike I'd prefer to use a rigid case.

davidg

fair point, Globalti. I did say i had only heard it! that said I have only ever had one piece of luggage ripped and it was by monarch

that case looks like pretty good value. you dont normally see hard ones for that sort of price...

OP
OP
A

abrooks100

Seems like I have started a thread that is gonna help afew people.

Some good advice guys thanks.

Although I am more concerned about actually being able to fly now.

May start a new thread on the best roof cycle carriers and drive to the South of France! Ha Ha

Stupid Ash Cloud!

Top Bottom