Trawsfynydd to Llanuwchllyn mountain road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Evening all.

Checking my memory banks of some riding I was doing in this part of Wales about 10 years ago, either my memory is failing me or some things have changed with this road. Accordingly, can someone with good knowledge of these roads please enlighten me?

In 2000, we planned to ride the mountain road from Trawsfynydd to Bala via Llanuwchllyn as part of a long ride taking in some major Welsh climbs. I'm convinced that we had to turn back at Pont y Gain as the road surface changed from asphalt to a very broken, gravel-like surface that our gossamer racing tyres wouldn't have appreciated. I am also sure that at that time this was the start of a forested section, with a gate across the road, and my Ordnance Survey map corroborates this section being in a forest (plus the aerial/Streetview photography shows evidence of plantations and forestry activity).

However, scouting recently on Google Streetview for a return visit indicates that the surface seems to be asphalt all the way now, and clearly there is no forest there now.

So, my question to anyone who's known this area for more than 10 years - is my memory barking, and have I confused this location with another one, or am I right and the surface has been dramatically upgraded and the road de-gated since 2000?

One more thing: is there a shorthand/popular name for this road/pass? 'Dol y moch', maybe?

johnsss

Foghat said:
Evening all.

Checking my memory banks of some riding I was doing in this part of Wales about 10 years ago, either my memory is failing me or some things have changed with this road. Accordingly, can someone with good knowledge of these roads please enlighten me?

In 2000, we planned to ride the mountain road from Trawsfynydd to Bala via Llanuwchllyn as part of a long ride taking in some major Welsh climbs. I'm convinced that we had to turn back at Pont y Gain as the road surface changed from asphalt to a very broken, gravel-like surface that our gossamer racing tyres wouldn't have appreciated. I am also sure that at that time this was the start of a forested section, with a gate across the road, and my Ordnance Survey map corroborates this section being in a forest (plus the aerial/Streetview photography shows evidence of plantations and forestry activity).

However, scouting recently on Google Streetview for a return visit indicates that the surface seems to be asphalt all the way now, and clearly there is no forest there now.

So, my question to anyone who's known this area for more than 10 years - is my memory barking, and have I confused this location with another one, or am I right and the surface has been dramatically upgraded and the road de-gated since 2000?

One more thing: is there a shorthand/popular name for this road/pass? 'Dol y moch', maybe?

I've ridden it twice in the last 3 years, and it is all smooth asphalt. But there are still half a dozen gates to be opened and closed, so take care on the descents, especially if there is poor visibility.

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Thanks for the information!

I took a Google Streetview journey along the whole stretch from Pont y Gain to Llanuwchllyn, and counted five gates. The Google car didn't seem to encounter another vehicle along the whole route!

The setting, remoteness, big climb, current general surface high quality and absence of cars on this road make it very special, so I must get there pronto. Shame it was Open CX-unsafe back in 2000.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
Just to add to what Johnsss said, this road was fine last summer. I rode it as part of the Four Lakes Permanent Audax and this part of the route was an absolute gem. As mentioned, there are some gates, some of which are located on steep hills, so try to avoid crashing into them on a descent.

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Well it took until now for me to get around to doing this road. I stopped at Pont y Gain, where we had to turn back in 2000, but the removal of the forest made it almost unrecognisable.

As you say, Philip, an absolute gem, and a very hefty climb in true Welsh tradition; the views from the top of the pass are tremendous - a real sense of elevation, especially on the south side.

It's a shame about all the sheeps going bouncy bouncy on the descent - makes getting up to full speed a very risky business, and 100% concentration required! And the 6 gates are a drag, although they do discourage drivers from using the road.

Highly recommended.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought that sounded familiar ... I stayed in a cabin at the holiday village at Bronaber about 10 years ago and climbed that road on my MTB. I was short of time so I turned round at the top and went back to my cabin, but I remember thinking that I would love to have done a big loop on my road bike taking in the entire stretch of road.

Top Bottom