Trek 5200 Snapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
malkie said:
However , if Evans claim that they are standing the cost themselves how can they object to your requesting a bike from a different manufacturer if you wanted one ?

If they get difficult I would point out that I was trying to be nice ... but that I would soon start remembering my cuts / bruises / whiplash etc . They must know they are up **** creek . Do they normally replace bikes when there is no liability ?

Malkie.

Evans are within their rights. If the customer is totally cheesed off he could ask for his money back and purchase a bike elsewhere.

Remembering the cuts and bruises by now will involve the purchasing of some theatrical make up for the photographic evidence and a compliant GP to write the retrospective medical report.

Replacement of the bike isn't necessarily an admission of liability....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Argh that's nasty........ what is the lifetime of carbon, seen rather a lot of big frame failures.... ?

OP
OP
P

papereyes

madone 5.2 arrived

hey guys

thanks for all the advice, ended up with trek replacing the framset with a mdaone 5.2
View attachment 186

going to take it for its maiden voyage on tuesday, just seriously been missing riding, and just hope everything is in tact when i get back!

giant man

fossyant said:
Argh that's nasty........ what is the lifetime of carbon, seen rather a lot of big frame failures.... ?
You got to blame the manufacturers not the material. There's nothing wrong with carbon, but I wouldn't buy another Trek if it were me. I never like them before, I like them even less now. :sad:

peejay78

giant man said:

You got to blame the manufacturers not the material. There's nothing wrong with carbon, but I wouldn't buy another Trek if it were me. I never like them before, I like them even less now. :rolleyes:

good enough for lance armstrong though...

i have to be careful here, steve edited a post about trek i left in beginners which started with the phrase "you can't polish a turd". admittedly, i wasn't being very helpful and it was the wrong thread to offer opinion... i considered myself told off.

Monty Dog

A materials scientist would be able to determine the mode of failure - particularly if it was due to a pre-existing fault or impact damage. I don't think the huge stack of spacers on such a short head tube helped the problem either. No material or process can be guaranteed 100% reliable - but it's likely that that frame was creaking well before it snapped.

gavintc

Guru
Monty Dog said:
A materials scientist would be able to determine the mode of failure - particularly if it was due to a pre-existing fault or impact damage. I don't think the huge stack of spacers on such a short head tube helped the problem either. No material or process can be guaranteed 100% reliable - but it's likely that that frame was creaking well before it snapped.

I note you have replaced the spacers on your new bike with a similar stack. I 'think' but you would be advised to check, that you are recommended to have no more than an inch of spacers. As Monty has commented a stack of spacers will not help. It places strong leverage forces on the head tube.

Dave5N

Über Member
gavintc said:
I note you have replaced the spacers on your new bike with a similar stack. I 'think' but you would be advised to check, that you are recommended to have no more than an inch of spacers. As Monty has commented a stack of spacers will not help. It places strong leverage forces on the head tube.

Aw, that's a shame.

'Cos that 'Thorn' look is just sooo attractive...

pjm-84

I had to join just to look at the photos.... OMG.

I've cracked 4 carbon frames and a cross frame in 3years but have never seen anything like that.

Top Bottom