Trek 5200 Snapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Steve Austin said:
xx( Wow!

Glad to hear you survived.

'sneaks off to garage to check Giant'

You're starting to sound like Fnaaar !!!!! :tongue:

OP
OP
P

papereyes

hey guys

just spoke to evans

they wanted to give me a trek 5000, but i argued back and said i wouldn't accept less than madone 5.2SL

foudn out i'm getting the 2007 model. called evans to see if i can get the 2008 they've come back saying that Trek didn't want to process this under a warranty and are only doing this as a special.

What do you guys reckon I should do next?

Accept the trek madone 5.2 2007 model or argue back for the 2008.

OP
OP
P

papereyes

no idea, evans are saying that i'm pretty lucky to even get the bike.

apparently trek usa and uk are saying they never seen it before.. and that they don't want to accept that its a frame failure.

just a bit annoyed that they won't accept its a frame failure, poor in my view.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
its a frame failure and they warranty frames for life so i would push for it to be warrantied. What they are suggesting is it as gesture of goodwill which is nonsense, ie they are replacing the frame out of the goodness of their heart ie not warranty.

You will get a new frame either way, but how a company can explain what i've seen as anything other than frame failure is beyond me.

Membrane

Steve Austin said:
how a company can explain what i've seen as anything other than frame failure is beyond me.

From the company's perspective, the damage could have resulted from an accident with a client trying to pass it off as a manufacturing defect (I'm not suggesting that the OP is). The break is in a strange place, I've never seen a spontanious carbon frame break in that place, so I can imagine sceptisicm on their part.

The strange bit is the fact that they are still willing to replace it, that doesn't make much sense to me.

Blonde

The only other explanation is that you'd already crash damaged it and caused a thin fracture that you hadn't seen at the time but which had then subsequently broken whilst riding. They could claim that I suppose. Hope it gets sorted for you. Sounds like a real shock!

rustychisel

F**k me!!!! Just seen this, glad you're okay 'cause it definitely could have been horrendous. Like SteveA, I'd push pretty hard if it were me and I'd be outraged if Trek tried to claim it wasn't a warranty job. Even so, I do agree it's in an unusual position and suggests one of two things... the frame took a shunt backwards sometime and began a cracking process behind the headtube junction; or a manufacturing defect leaving resin pores in the bonded tubes.
I think we can discount the notion of overheated welds.

giant man

papereyes said:
hey guys

just spoke to evans

they wanted to give me a trek 5000, but i argued back and said i wouldn't accept less than madone 5.2SL

foudn out i'm getting the 2007 model. called evans to see if i can get the 2008 they've come back saying that Trek didn't want to process this under a warranty and are only doing this as a special.

What do you guys reckon I should do next?

Accept the trek madone 5.2 2007 model or argue back for the 2008.

I would run like hell personally. You wouldn't get me on the same brand bike again if this happened. Glad you weren't hurt which is good, but this is one of the many reasons I wouldn't buy a bloody Trek! And you're not exactly getting much customer satisfaction now are you? Sad story....

malkie

Hi everyone .... 1st post :biggrin:

"From the company's perspective, the damage could have resulted from an accident with a client trying to pass it off as a manufacturing defect "

A client doesn`t have to prove that it`s a manufacturing defect anymore ... the manufacturer has to prove that it isn`t . Might not sound like much difference but how exactly are they going to do that unless they have evidence of a previous accident ?

So you could force it through as a warranty issue if you really wanted to . But that would limit you to Trek machines .

However , if Evans claim that they are standing the cost themselves how can they object to your requesting a bike from a different manufacturer if you wanted one ?

If they get difficult I would point out that I was trying to be nice ... but that I would soon start remembering my cuts / bruises / whiplash etc . They must know they are up **** creek . Do they normally replace bikes when there is no liability ?

Malkie.

Stu99

Über Member
You could have been killed or sustained crippling injuries - seek legal advice straight away. Pity you parted with the evidence - this might complicate any future claim you make. Giving you a replacement bike (even replacing it with a top of the range model) is the least of Trek's problems.

Top Bottom