Trek bottom bracket.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timtrain

I have a 2017 Trek Domane S5 with a very creaky bottom bracket.
What in the forums opinion would be a suitable replacement?

Brads

A trip to a Trek dealer.

They can provide you with an oversized BB bearing to help it, but it may need the BB repair that they have been carrying out on quite a few of them.
Your frame has a lifetime warranty so let them check the carbon repair is not needed.

BB90 is not the best.

si_c

Guru
It's a BB90 BB unfortunately - there isn't a huge amount that you can do. From what I've read using Loctite 609 can help reduce the creaking, ask your LBS to reinstall the bearings using this.

OP
OP
Timtrain

Timtrain

Oh well sorry, but don't despair. This guy reckons he's got you covered.

View: https://youtu.be/ZJBwh9gT4KA

He obviously wants to sell you his repair kit with his name on but I reckon you can do it with regular Loctite and the appropriate bearing press. Let us know how it goes.

Excellent sale technique. Don’t think I’ll be rushing out to purchase the BBInfinate kit just yet.
like you say regular Loctite would maybe have the same effect.

OP
OP
Timtrain

Timtrain

A trip to a Trek dealer.

They can provide you with an oversized BB bearing to help it, but it may need the BB repair that they have been carrying out on quite a few of them.
Your frame has a lifetime warranty so let them check the carbon repair is not needed.

BB90 is not the best.
Nope, from what I’ve read it’s not the best.
will monitor and will speak to my local Trek LBS

OP
OP
Timtrain

Timtrain

It's a BB90 BB unfortunately - there isn't a huge amount that you can do. From what I've read using Loctite 609 can help reduce the creaking, ask your LBS to reinstall the bearings using this.
Thanks for the reply, from what I’ve read, loctite does seem to be the preferred option For many.
As I’ve already said to Brads. I’ll monitor and speak to my Trek LBS.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wonder if Trek consider this a frame warranty matter? Great if they do don't hold your breath. I could see this getting very expensive for them if the hold their hands up.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Do you know the noise is definitely coming from the BB?
Does this model have a thru axle?
Sometimes the noise comes from the iso speed coupler and just needs a bit of grease.

OldShep

Über Member
I have a 2017 Trek Domane S5 with a very creaky bottom bracket.
What in the forums opinion would be a suitable replacement?
I’ve a 2012 Domane BB went after a couple of years one side had ovalised the frame. Trek repaired the frame and the dealer fitted new bearings under warranty. A couple years on the bearings went again but the housing was good.
I bought new bearings and fitted them myself. I took great care with the installation using loctite, adding extra grease to bearings and making sure all seals were fitted perfectly. Four years on a LEJOG and thousands of other miles the BB is still smooth and quiet.

OP
OP
Timtrain

Timtrain

Do you know the noise is definitely coming from the BB?
Does this model have a thru axle?
Sometimes the noise comes from the iso speed coupler and just needs a bit of grease.
Yes, defiantly. I can “feel” it through my feet, if that make sense.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yes, defiantly. I can “feel” it through my feet, if that make sense.
Fair enough, I thought I had a BB problem turned out the noise was because the torque on the thru axle wasn’t enough. I’ve also heard that the IsoSpeed can make a noise sometimes.

OP
OP
Timtrain

Timtrain

I wonder if Trek consider this a frame warranty matter? Great if they do don't hold your breath. I could see this getting very expensive for them if the hold their hands up.
from what I’ve read, it seems a common problem with these kind of bottom bracket. I’ll speak to the dealer and see what they say. Like you say I won’t hold my breath.

OP
OP
Timtrain

Timtrain

Fair enough, I thought I had a BB problem turned out the noise was because the torque on the thru axle wasn’t enough. I’ve also heard that the IsoSpeed can make a noise sometimes.
Didn’t mean to sound condescending.
I don’t have through axles, I will however have a look at the isospeed, to make sure.

Top Bottom