Trek Domane eBike, new or used?? - concluded :).

Which Trek Domane would you get?

• New 2022 model - unknown delivery date and £4k+ after cycle to work scheme

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Used 2021 model - exact size + colour size for me, £2.8k, can go and pick up today!

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
OP is 40.

It's 6 miles. :whistle: Like 30 minutes freewheeling.

Has a big house, mega bucks Tesla, moaning about BTW allowance. Should pay cash then ?

Less to brag about then though ;) NHS obviously thinks a 3k C2W limit is ample :okay:

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
@fossyant Thanks for your comments of taking the questions off topic :smile:.

But yes will be paying cash(well bank transfer) new or used.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
There is this point - I treated myself to a Ribble Al-e as a partial

The MAHLE system is the obvious alternative to the Fazua system, and almost certainly more reliable. I've had a new motor+BB for my Boardman under warranty, and one of the battery packs just failed under warranty.

However the Domane is something I've been eyeing up for the last few years. My analogue road bike is a 10 year old Madone that still rides really well - I haven't 100% dismissed it, but its a mad amount of coin to drop on something I'll almost certainly only use in summer and be too scared to leave unattended!

The 2022 Domane+ is using a different setup to the Fazua on the 2021 version, and it looks lovely but £8k+ askinf price is very very step.

Scott (and Ribble) do offer more bike per £ using the Emotion setup, but I grew up watching Lance Amstrong spring up mountains (whilst powered by drugs) on Trek machines........and there is a reason why manfactures support bike races, the subjective psychological brand association is hard to ignore once established. So sadly for me it has to be Trek or nothing else, which I know makes zero sense, but that's the human brain.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can't imagine paying £2800 for a bike which comes with no warranty and presumably no verifiable history. It would be new or not at all for me.

Why the OP at 40 would want an ebike to ride 6 miles is beyond me. That's a 20 minute ride over gently rolling routes and im 68!!! I suppose 30 minutes at rush hour? I don't know the answer to that question.

Over 6 miles and commuting I would expect an ebike to be slower than a road bike.

The 50% discount for C2W seems very high.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
For a six mile commute, I wouldn’t be spending that sort of cash on any bike. Sit on your hands OP save your money and use the Boardman.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
For a six mile commute, I wouldn’t be spending that sort of cash on any bike. Sit on your hands OP save your money and use the Boardman.

That is almost certainly the most logical and sensible conclusion:smile:.

However am not that sensible or logical when it comes to ££££ and gadgets. I very very nearly bought the one a new Domane LT+ a few years back instead of the Boardman, and if am 100% honest have regretted NOT splashing out the extra money the Domane cost at the time.

I work damn hard, I started life in the UK living in a 3 bed semi shared between 4 families with 1 bathrooms between everyone. Money is valuable but it's also not the point of life. Money for me is an enabler to allow you to experience the nice bits of life, and what's the point of life if you aren't interested in different experiences??

Though the ironic thing I already know 100% what the Fauza drive train will feel like, so based on that logic maybe the 2022 new bike with a different battery/motor is better ;).

But yes, your point is 100% correct........however everyone has the autonomy to make the wrong decisions in life :smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
That is almost certainly the most logical and sensible conclusion:smile:.

However am not that sensible or logical when it comes to ££££ and gadgets. I very very nearly bought the one a new Domane LT+ a few years back instead of the Boardman, and if am 100% honest have regretted NOT splashing out the extra money the Domane cost at the time.

I work damn hard, I started life in the UK living in a 3 bed semi shared between 4 families with 1 bathrooms between everyone. Money is valuable but it's also not the point of life. Money for me is an enabler to allow you to experience the nice bits of life, and what's the point of life if you aren't interested in different experiences??

Though the ironic thing I already know 100% what the Fauza drive train will feel like, so based on that logic maybe the 2022 new bike with a different battery/motor is better ;).

But yes, your point is 100% correct........however everyone has the autonomy to make the wrong decisions in life :smile:

Use the money you save not buying a bike and go an excellent, extravagant holiday.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
The 50% discount for C2W seems very high.

Yes I got that bit wrong, for some reason I thought the additional tax rate was 50% but its 'only' 45%.

Not really relevant anymore as the limit is £3k on a new bike from the likes of Evans. Pretty much all branded road eBikes from large manufacturers are way over that. Top spec for the Domane+ SLR is £12.5k.

Compared that to top spec Analogue Madone SLR at over £14k and the eBike is better 'value'.

If the CW scheme didn't have a cap I would go new. This purchase is my 'mid-life' crisis buy, and actually even a Domane+ SLR is cheaper than getting one of these typical mid life crisis buys :smile:.

S21_5659_fine.jpg

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Use the money you save not buying a bike and go an excellent, extravagant holiday.

What kind of social media platform is this where sensible advice is given instead of been an echo chamber for self justification:smile:

Holidays and travel is ofcourse the best way to get new experiences, but this purchase has nothing to do with those plans. Last summer we were lucky enough to tour Trollstigen in Norway, to say it was the most stunning display of nature would be a gross understatement. It makes memories of Queestown in New Zealand seem mundane.

52227682080_09fc7f13e6_c_d.jpg

52226712035_555d91d4f9_c_d.jpg

This summer the accommodation at lake Como is already booked. For 2024/25 Alaska for Northen lights and Machu Picchu are pencilled in.......the bike purchase is independent of any travel plans.

52523928373_a398e52764_c_d.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
CTW is not there for you to buy mega bucks bikes, it's to buy a bike to get to work, and £3k is enough for an electric bike that is suitable to get to work. £12k is not a suitable ride to work bike. £1k will buy you a decent normal bike to get you to work, as will £3k for an electric one. You'd be a bit daft commuting on Dura Ace, SRAM RED, etc, unless you like spending money, but in those cases CTW wouldn't be for you.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@gzoom may I ask, if it's not an intrusive question, why, at 40, you want an ebike. I'm 28 years older and your six miles would take me 20/22 minutes. I have a 6 mile ride to my usual meet point and it takes no time at all.

I've seen many people riding ebikes, only one of your age, the rest probably 60+. I've no issue with ebikes but feel sure it will be harder riding.

si_c

Guru
@gzoom may I ask, if it's not an intrusive question, why, at 40, you want an ebike. I'm 28 years older and your six miles would take me 20/22 minutes. I have a 6 mile ride to my usual meet point and it takes no time at all.

I've seen many people riding ebikes, only one of your age, the rest probably 60+. I've no issue with ebikes but feel sure it will be harder riding.

There's actually a good argument for ebikes when commuting as you won't work up quite so much of a sweat so get to work in a less dishevelled state.

Top Bottom