Trek Domane eBike, new or used?? - concluded :).

Which Trek Domane would you get?

• New 2022 model - unknown delivery date and £4k+ after cycle to work scheme

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Used 2021 model - exact size + colour size for me, £2.8k, can go and pick up today!

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thing is with a used ebike you've got next to no warranty on the motor or battery.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
@PaulSB I'm not interested in the whole eBike vs non eBike 'debate'. It's been done to death, I have commuted to work on various pedal bikes on/off for the last decade.

For me I have zero interest or wish to use analogue pedal bike again after 18 months of commuting on the Boardman eBike. I honestly couldn't care what other people think or do :smile:.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Thing is with a used ebike you've got next to no warranty on the motor or battery.

I have no warranty on the motor or battery for my current eBike, and most cars I have owned weren't covered by manfacture warranties.

The bigger 'worry' is lack of long term parts. Fazua are now owned by Porsche so that should be less of a worry.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@PaulSB I'm not interested in the whole eBike vs non eBike 'debate'. It's been done to death, I have commuted to work on various pedal bikes on/off for the last decade.

For me I have zero interest or wish to use analogue pedal bike again after 18 months of commuting on the Boardman eBike. I honestly couldn't care what other people think or do :smile:.

That's fine. I wasn't judging you or debating with you but asking why you wanted an ebike. I'm very much in favour of ebikes as I believe they open up possibilities for many different people. My opinion is the choice you're making is a poor one for the ride you describe but there is no reason why that should concern you, it's nothing other than my view.

I was merely interested in your reasoning.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There's actually a good argument for ebikes when commuting as you won't work up quite so much of a sweat so get to work in a less dishevelled state.

I haven't ridden one but if an ebike is heavier and from what I'm told therefore harder to ride one would still work up a sweat etc? Saying that I see a lot of ebike riders who appear to just cruise along. My regular cycling buddy has an eMTB and he says there is zero physical benefit from riding it when he compares his metrics** with other bikes.

** this man is heavily into his numbers!

Slick

Guru
I haven't ridden one but if an ebike is heavier and from what I'm told therefore harder to ride one would still work up a sweat etc? Saying that I see a lot of ebike riders who appear to just cruise along. My regular cycling buddy has an eMTB and he says there is zero physical benefit from riding it when he compares his metrics** with other bikes.

** this man is heavily into his numbers!

I think he may need to go and look at those numbers again. :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think he may need to go and look at those numbers again. :okay:

Quite possibly. Most of these numbers are double Dutch to me. Once beyond HR and zones I'm lost.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Quite possibly. Most of these numbers are double Dutch to me. Once beyond HR and zones I'm lost.

My 20 minute FTP with average HR of 165 bpm is 211 watts. My Fazua powered eBike gives 250 watts of sustained support. The difference in effort between analogue and eBike is night and day, I don't enjoy arriving at work hot/sweaty, nor do I enjoy battling a head wind at 730am on a Monday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member

Trek Domane eBike, new or used?​

:laugh:

It appears I cannot even follow my own thoughts, new bike just ordered, and it's not even a Trek :smile:.

52572698699_ebfc9901aa_c_d.jpg

I can't imagine paying £2800 for a bike which comes with no warranty and presumably no verifiable history. It would be new or not at all for me.

Why the OP at 40 would want an ebike to ride 6 miles is beyond me. That's a 20 minute ride over gently rolling routes and im 68!!! I suppose 30 minutes at rush hour? I don't know the answer to that question.

Over 6 miles and commuting I would expect an ebike to be slower than a road bike.

The 50% discount for C2W seems very high.

Don't forget you reduce you pensionable pay - so the amount you pay into the pension will reduce as well so a 50% reduction is easily achievable imo.

Dadam

You save tax + NI. From my recent cyclescheme agreement:
* Basic Tax Payer - Assumes 20% Income Tax Rate and 13.25% Employees' NIC Rate.
** Higher Tax Payer - Assumes 40% Income Tax Rate and 3.25% Employees' NIC Rate.
For Additional Tax Payers, the maximum savings available are 45% Income Tax Rate and 3.25%
Employees' NIC Rate.

So for the OP would be saving 48.25% off the bat, plus pension contributions (which arguably aren't a saving as they are going into his pot).

My employer's limit is 10k, but I just used 3k. I got an Orbea Gain with the Mahle system. I "only" have a 5 mile commute but it includes a long steep hill which is often into a stiff headwind, and the ebike will encourage me to use it on days I'd have previously taken the car. It will also encourage/enable me to take more and longer leisure rides.

Top Bottom