Trek Emonda, Demone, Madone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Hi Paul, what an absolutely superb concise informative reply. I’m blown away! Extremely useful and helps massively. Thank you so much.
Agree bike numbers are very low, however. Two local shops have demo stock of the 2022 Emonda SL5 and 2022 domane SL5, my best friend has the Madone SL6.
Thank you once again for taking time to submit this information.
D.

I understand Trek have dropped the H1/H2 fit options they previously offered which simplifies things a bit. One thing that puts me off the Madone having worked on one is the cable routing through the head tube, a real pain. Check tyre clearances, too, the Madone might be limited, not sure, but I'd want something that would take 28mm tyres. The Domane will take 32mm I think.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You haven't been to West Dorset/East Devon, have you!
Yes (it involved a degree of getting off and pushing) ;)
What are you - man or wimp!? :whistle:

Yours Sincerely,
A. N. Otherwimp

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
To give it a bit of perspective, I live just over 4km from Lyme Regis beach and I’m at 180m above sea level. Most of my 300m drive is over 14%, some of it 18% 🙀
The road in my photo is a LOT steeper than it looks. It starts with 300 metres at 14%, levels off for 250 metres, but then there is a killer 400 metres at 20%, with that last bend at about 25%! What's more, the surface was broken up and covered in gravel and twigs.

Simon Bikes

Vickster is talking sense. those bikes are like comparing apples with pears. The only commonality is they are all Treks. Why are you even considering that sort of money on a first road bike? You don't know yet if you will end up enjoying that style of riding, or whether you will keep it up long term or the bike will just end up getting stuffed in the back of your shed gathering dust. The minute you take delivery of a new bike and ride it, that's a third of it's retail cost gone in an instant. If you buy the wrong one and decide you don't like it much, and it's a pricey high end model, its going to be an expensive learning experience.
It would make a lot more sense to get a budget road bike from a reputable source, that will merely be good enough to be mechanically reliable, without being a depreciation money pit, and ride that around for a while to see if you really intend to stick at that type of cycling or not.
Spot-on advice.

Simon Bikes

The Madone and Emonda share a similar Bike Fit, the former is their aero model where as the Emonda is focused more on weight reduction and as such a popular choice for those who enjoy climbing, so arguably as you want to do "25-50 miles averaging 4000 ft of assent" at this stage I'd personally shortlist the Emonda over the Madone. In comparison the Domane has a shorter, higher reach to the bars as well as being by design more compliant; aimed at the 'extra mile' as well as the 'extra mph'.

I have drawn up both on BikeCAD for you, both 56cm with the same saddle height and set back (click on each for a larger picture)

Morphing one into the other may help illustrate; especially the reach and drop to the bars, plus the effect the shallower head angle, longer chainstays and wheelbase have on the overall set up. In addition features like the 'isospeed' and larger tyres all combine to influence the difference between the two. (If you like using tech/software there is a free version of BikeCAD, that you may enjoy; I've added these two to their public design archive for you)
As an analogy to help compare I have two bikes that tick similar boxes to these, my Van Nicholas Chinook is closer to the Emonda and my Van Nicholas Yukon more like the Domane. Both are the sum of their parts of course, but even if I had the same components and finishing kit on both my Yukon would still not inspire me to try hard in quite the same way. When I get to the bottom of my regular climb of Box Hill on my Yukon I am inclined to change down gears and just roll up it; where as on my quicker bike I am more inclined to change down fewer gears and attack it; which I have to say normally translates to me blowing up and crying for my mum but you get the picture.

That is where you may have a dilemma, the more compliant bike can take time to win you over, on a short test ride the Emonda may feel seductively quick, but in time although technically the Domane is the slower bike factor in the 'tortoise and the hare' effect then for many it's this bike that's the valid choice over the more focused Madone and Emonda; in your case especially if there is potential that you may evolve into enjoying longer rides than 25-50 miles. Trying to compare the difference in performance is always down to the perception of the rider; a deal breaking difference to one may well be no difference to another, plus your initial conclusion may change as you gain experience. Coming from a mountain biking back ground you will probably still find the Domane quick, because in short it still is; it's just not as focused as the Emonda.

A quality local store will be able to guide you through the options, factor in your goals and if relevant any issues then help you conclude what is the right choice; for the 'you' of now and significantly the 'you' that may well evolve into. It's important to think what style of riding you actually enjoy and be really honest with yourself with what it is you want, so many don't think it through clearly and perhaps buy a less valid choice as a result. In my case for example the older I get the more I enjoy cycling to 'chill out' rather than 'work out', so I use my Yukon far more. I am in my late fifties now; the 'me' in my twenties would have come to a different conclusion, I would have used my quicker bike far more simply because most rides were in the higher effort ranges and the bike set up to compliment that would have been my 'go to' bike. This is what I mean by being honest with yourself, I have seen quite a few not admit even to themselves that what they actually enjoy is wafting along far more than going out for a blast, the result is they buy a bike set up to be quicker and harsher, a decision that they then later regret; vice versa applies of course.

That's ideal if you get to have each bike for a weekend, astonished that a dealer has all three in your size to test as all of them are scarce with long lead times for new orders; late 2022 for each model
Brilliant! Oh how I wish I could do what you've done!

Top Bottom