Trek FX 7.2 sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi,
I'm interested in a Trek FX 7.2 hyrbid bike.
Going by the size guide, at 6' 4" and with a 35 inch inseam, I would need the 22.5 inch frame.
I see there is a 25 inch frame aimed at people 6' 6" and above. I'm just wondering if someone of 6' 4" should go for the 25 inch frame?
I intend to put some egro/horn grips on the handlebars and do 20-30 mile rides. As my intention is to aim for increased speed, would the 25 inch frame allow for a sleeker profile or, with my height and inseam, is the 22.5 inch frame the right size frame whether I intend to go on a leisurely ride and look to get my head down and eat up the miles?

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2015/Trek/7_2_fx_disc#/us/en/2015/Trek/7_2_fx_disc/details

Thanks.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Better to go smaller than bigger if in between -so it would be the 22.5 probably

However, you could ask an LBS that sells Trek or try Trek's support? You've linked the US not UK site (models may differ)
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/contactUs/

Reactions: dac

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The general guidance is when in doubt, go smaller, but: You're not really in the territory of "in doubt / between sizes" here, you're comfortably in the range for the 22.5 size. Going up a size might be uncomfortable and you may find you feel you're always reaching too far for the bars.

Getting "aero" isn't generally a thing on something like an FX anyway as it's a general leisure bike with a fairly upright position. Going for a bigger frame isn't really a way to become "aero", you're not going to decrease drag by getting on a slightly bigger size of the same model of bike. I'd go for the 22.5.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A 25” frame on a hybrid sounds very big for you. Don’t forget hybrid sizing is different to road bikes as the BB is usually much higher. If you can’t try I’d also say go for the 22.5, you can always mess with stem, seat etc.

si_c

Guru
I'm a bit conflicted I'm 6'5" and ride a 24" MTB and my Trek road bike is 62cm and both a good fit.

If unsure try them both, but probably on balance go for the smaller frame. It's marginal though, you should be able to get both to work.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Hi,
Going by the size guide, at 6' 4" and with a 35 inch inseam, I would need the 22.5 inch frame.
I see there is a 25 inch frame aimed at people 6' 6" and above. I'm just wondering if someone of 6' 4" should go for the 25 inch frame?
I intend to put some egro/horn grips on the handlebars and do 20-30 mile rides. As my intention is to aim for increased speed, would the 25 inch frame allow for a sleeker profile or, with my height and inseam, is the 22.5 inch frame the right size frame whether I intend to go on a leisurely ride and look to get my head down and eat up the miles?

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2015/Trek/7_2_fx_disc#/us/en/2015/Trek/7_2_fx_disc/details

Thanks.
Many of us will find more than one size viable, I can't see on that link the sizing guide for that 2015 model, but it will be not be a that different to the 2021 FX1 version; the 'sizing and fit' data (on that link and below) alludes to you being on the cusp of both sizes. In reality these are very bike fit friendly bikes; that will probably mean that either should work interms of sizing. Assume you have you found a source of these 2015 bikes in both sizes?

Last edited:

cyclintom

Hi,

Thanks.
If you're riding a 22.5" bike at 6'4" with a 35" inseam (identical measurements to mine) you have to ride that upright. Just make sure that you have a long enough seat post since you would normally ride a 24" (62 cm) road bike frame in a drop bar bike. On a bike like that you're not supposed to be leaning very far forward and your the distance from the center of the crank to the center of the saddle will be about 37 or so inches, with flat pedals. Most accidents on those types of bikes come from people trying to ride clip-in pedals. Then in case of a sudden surprise they forget to twist a foot out or can't get it out in time. Riding flat pedals you automatically put a foot down and usually avoid problems. But be careful not to twist an ankle.

Top Bottom