Trek fx3 and the fx2 speed differences??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is! My latest Trek cost £10 from a house clearance. Using spares, and bits from a retired project, I now have a nice 3x9 cruiser. There's more to do, but it's up and running.

View attachment 647244
I tend to build these using unisex or ladies frames due to spinal issues, again a nice part of the it's-all-mine process.
PS it's lost the mudguards already!

That's really neat @DCBassman :okay:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well, life without chocolate is a bit dull... :blush: But that's what's great about CC.

Oh I wasn't knocking it
And like you say it's what's great about cc long may it continue

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

Love how we go from bike gear ratios to chocolate ^_^

If it's hilly terrain then a triple set up can give you a bit more climbing ability but as others have said some of the gears ratios will be duplicated or very close too .

Either way I would go to your local bike shop and have a play on a couple if they have stock .

But either way good luck.

😄 :hungry:....Thank you :bicycle:

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

I've just demolished a couple of Lidl's caramel wafer bars before I go to work - just like Tunnock's ones but a third cheaper. Anyway, back to gearing.....

Big advantage of a triple for hills is the gear ratios are very closely spaced. For example on my Raleigh Pioneer, the small front ring is 28T and I've got 28T, 24T, 21T, 18T, 16T, and 14T sprockets on the back.
There's a stretch of road I ride with a variable steepness uphill gradient which has more than one set of traffic lights en route so it's nice to have a low gear for pulling away in.
At one point, I will generally use 28T/24T to move off in. Then, according to how the road is flattening or steepening, I will use either 28T/24T, 28T/21T or 28T/18T, which are 32", 36", and 42" gears. The closeness of the ratios means I don't bust a gut getting up the road and I remain in the saddle.
A 1x transmission simply doesn't give you so many closely spaced low gears unless you fit a small front chainring and constrain yourself to a low top gear. A triple is more flexible and the chainring wear isn't all concentrated on one ring if you use the appropriate front ring for the general terrain and wind direction.

haha :hungry:...I dont no what numbers of t's i have at the minute, but I do know when going up two certain hills, one is a shorter steeper hill and the other is a longer not as steep one (but much longer), I always use my lowest gears on these, the smallest crank and no 1 gear lol I will have to find out what my current one is. Its very interesting learning from you all. :thanks:

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

It is! My latest Trek cost £10 from a house clearance. Using spares, and bits from a retired project, I now have a nice 3x9 cruiser. There's more to do, but it's up and running.

View attachment 647244
I tend to build these using unisex or ladies frames due to spinal issues, again a nice part of the it's-all-mine process.
PS it's lost the mudguards already!

Fantastic :wahhey: What a bargain and tailored by yourself for your own personal needs :bicycle::okay:

Fantastic :wahhey: What a bargain and tailored by yourself for your own personal needs :bicycle::okay:
Exactly so. Bikes don't get much better than that. Or basses.

mustang1

Guru
Ive not looked at the gear specs but this is what I think:

FX2 will have smaller steps between gears. It might have slightly shorter short gear and slightly higher high gear. Parts will be cheaper during service.
But i think those things wont make enough of a difference.

FX3 has carbon forks and nicer grips (that someone above mentioned). I think those things make more of a difference to ride feel.

If this was my only bike, i am more inclined to get fx3.

Top Bottom