Trek fx3 and the fx2 speed differences??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

A triumph of marketing brainwashing. How to sell a degraded spec product to the customer, at a higher price than the previous version, whilst kidding them they are getting something beneficial out of the deal. Dont fall for it.

is it like chocolate bars and everything else these days?? you get alot less for more money :cry:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
is it like chocolate bars and everything else these days?? you get alot less for more money :cry:

Just don't get me started about Wagon Wheels. When I was a youngster, eating two or three was enough to make you feel a bit sick, now they're just a taster.

Everything comes and goes and then comes back again as far as fashion is concerned... Like platform shoes and bell bottoms and maxi dresses, jelly shoes and puffball skirts... :whistle:

My favourite bars of chocolate have shrunk as well. :cry: It's not good to be a girl and be short-changed on chocolate...

Can't advise on the bikes, but I prefer the "get-out-clause" of a triple, even if I do tend to spend most of the time on the middle ring. I prefer to spin rather than grind. My most-used bike - a Wiggins hybrid - is a 3x9 (48-38-28 up front and an 11-32 on the back)

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

Everything comes and goes and then comes back again as far as fashion is concerned... Like platform shoes and bell bottoms and maxi dresses, jelly shoes and puffball skirts... :whistle:

My favourite bars of chocolate have shrunk as well. :cry: It's not good to be a girl and be short-changed on chocolate...

Can't advise on the bikes, but I prefer the "get-out-clause" of a triple, even if I do tend to spend most of the time on the middle ring. I prefer to spin rather than grind. My most-used bike - a Wiggins hybrid - is a 3x9 (48-38-28 up front and an 11-32 on the back)

you're right 😢 I eat chocolate nearly every day ^_^. I'm still deciding on which bike, I use all gears on my Etienne and all 3 rings.
I feel like I'm going to go for the FX3. I'm not 100% sure yet. I dont feel like I can find anything else that I would like at the minute. I just want something good quality that will be good to ride, fast enough for my needs, easy ish on hills/inclines and easy to look after.

you're right 😢 I eat chocolate nearly every day ^_^. I'm still deciding on which bike, I use all gears on my Etienne and all 3 rings.
I feel like I'm going to go for the FX3. I'm not 100% sure yet. I dont feel like I can find anything else that I would like at the minute. I just want something good quality that will be good to ride, fast enough for my needs, easy ish on hills/inclines and easy to look after.

All bikes are easy enough to look after - and this place is a real goldmine for know-how and advice when it comes to maintenance and such. :smile: I went from being a total newbie to building my own bike up from scratch.

Of course, I'm not you, but if you're using the full range of gears on your current bike (sounds pretty hilly where you are), then maybe like-for-like will be the better option. There's always the option to tinker and tweak at a later date. Or maybe get another bike - says she with five... :whistle: (OK, admittedly two are in pieces, but still LOL)

I'm rather partial to Green & Black myself - either the milk with sea salt or the dark with ginger... :hungry:

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

All bikes are easy enough to look after - and this place is a real goldmine for know-how and advice when it comes to maintenance and such. :smile: I went from being a total newbie to building my own bike up from scratch.

Of course, I'm not you, but if you're using the full range of gears on your current bike (sounds pretty hilly where you are), then maybe like-for-like will be the better option. There's always the option to tinker and tweak at a later date. Or maybe get another bike - says she with five... :whistle: (OK, admittedly two are in pieces, but still LOL)

I'm rather partial to Green & Black myself - either the milk with sea salt or the dark with ginger... :hungry:

That's so cool, to be able to build your own bike :wahhey:5 bikes!! that's commitment :bicycle:. If I had the space I would probably like a mountain bike, a hybrid and a folding bike would be handy too. at most I'd probably just have the hybrid and a fold away lol

I've just had a packet of rolo's, I liked them more when I was a kid. ^_^

That's so cool, to be able to build your own bike :wahhey:5 bikes!! that's commitment :bicycle:. If I had the space I would probably like a mountain bike, a hybrid and a folding bike would be handy too. at most I'd probably just have the hybrid and a fold away lol

I've just had a packet of rolo's, I liked them more when I was a kid. ^_^

Not so much in the way of commitment, simply the right tools for various jobs. :blush: I've a road bike, a hybrid and a rigid MTB. These all get used, although the hybrid gets used the most by quite some margin - shopping, away days, foraging in the hedgerows... That, and the fact it's the one parked nearest the door. :laugh: The ones I don't use are an older steel MTB and an even older rod-braked roadster.

This is what I built:

NR1F7043_small.jpg

I couldn't find a junior MTB to suit (I'm 4ft 11) so I picked up an old Raleigh frame from the local tip and went from there. Got a LOT of help and encouragement from the guys on here during the build. It's great fun for riding gravel trails and farm tracks and also doubles up as my "mucky road" bike. We don't have much in the way of hills and gnarly stuff in the Fens, so it's got a touring-type drivetrain and commuter tyres.

Mmmm, Rolos are too sweet. I've currently got a box of hazelnut Lindor on the go.

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

Not so much in the way of commitment, simply the right tools for various jobs. :blush: I've a road bike, a hybrid and a rigid MTB. These all get used, although the hybrid gets used the most by quite some margin - shopping, away days, foraging in the hedgerows... That, and the fact it's the one parked nearest the door. :laugh: The ones I don't use are an older steel MTB and an even older rod-braked roadster.

This is what I built:

View attachment 647229

I couldn't find a junior MTB to suit (I'm 4ft 11) so I picked up an old Raleigh frame from the local tip and went from there. Got a LOT of help and encouragement from the guys on here during the build. It's great fun for riding gravel trails and farm tracks and also doubles up as my "mucky road" bike. We don't have much in the way of hills and gnarly stuff in the Fens, so it's got a touring-type drivetrain and commuter tyres.

Mmmm, Rolos are too sweet. I've currently got a box of hazelnut Lindor on the go.
It must feel really good to ride something you've built up yourself, I love it :bicycle:I've been having the Ferrero mon Cheri liqueurs lately, these are such a nice Liqueur, I love Lindor too yum yum.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Love how we go from bike gear ratios to chocolate ^_^

If it's hilly terrain then a triple set up can give you a bit more climbing ability but as others have said some of the gears ratios will be duplicated or very close too .

Either way I would go to your local bike shop and have a play on a couple if they have stock .

But either way good luck.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Love how we go from bike gear ratios to chocolate ^_^

If it's hilly terrain then a triple set up can give you a bit more climbing ability but as others have said some of the gears ratios will be duplicated or very close too .

I've just demolished a couple of Lidl's caramel wafer bars before I go to work - just like Tunnock's ones but a third cheaper. Anyway, back to gearing.....

Big advantage of a triple for hills is the gear ratios are very closely spaced. For example on my Raleigh Pioneer, the small front ring is 28T and I've got 28T, 24T, 21T, 18T, 16T, and 14T sprockets on the back.
There's a stretch of road I ride with a variable steepness uphill gradient which has more than one set of traffic lights en route so it's nice to have a low gear for pulling away in.
At one point, I will generally use 28T/24T to move off in. Then, according to how the road is flattening or steepening, I will use either 28T/24T, 28T/21T or 28T/18T, which are 32", 36", and 42" gears. The closeness of the ratios means I don't bust a gut getting up the road and I remain in the saddle.
A 1x transmission simply doesn't give you so many closely spaced low gears unless you fit a small front chainring and constrain yourself to a low top gear. A triple is more flexible and the chainring wear isn't all concentrated on one ring if you use the appropriate front ring for the general terrain and wind direction.

That's so cool, to be able to build your own bike
It is! My latest Trek cost £10 from a house clearance. Using spares, and bits from a retired project, I now have a nice 3x9 cruiser. There's more to do, but it's up and running.

20220521_150827.jpg

I tend to build these using unisex or ladies frames due to spinal issues, again a nice part of the it's-all-mine process.
PS it's lost the mudguards already!

Top Bottom