Trek fx3 and the fx2 speed differences??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baby-boop-boops

I've been looking at the Trek Fx3 which has a 10 speed and the Fx 2 which has an 18 speed, does this mean the Fx 2 is better? I would of thought the fx3 should be better but i dont know.

vickster

Legendary Member
the FX3 has a carbon fork rather than alloy. Will make it lighter (and in my experience more comfortable)?
10x1 vs 9x2 won’t make much difference depending on the gear ratios
Comparison here (albeit from US site)
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/compare/

Tyres and wheels are different but both can take the same max width (32mm on the 3 would be plenty for me but can easily change to 35s)

Better brakes and grips on the 3 too

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

the FX3 has a carbon fork rather than alloy. Will make it lighter (and in my experience more comfortable)?
10x1 vs 9x2 won’t make much difference depending on the gear ratios
Comparison here (albeit from US site)
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/compare/

Tyres and wheels are different but both can take the same max width (32mm on the 3 would be plenty for me but can easily change to 35s)

Better brakes and grips on the 3 too
Its says this on a new 22 FX3 model "FX 3 Disc Equipped is your go-to ride for getting around town and working out. It's smooth, fast and has a simple-yet-capable 1x10 drivetrain."...... I'd be worried for not having enough slack for the hills and not enough pedal power going down. I was wondering if this would make a difference in what i am used to. My current Apollo has 3 cogs with 6 gears, (I dont know how to speak bike tech lol) but I use all of these gears all the time.

vickster

Legendary Member
You need to compare, you’ll just have bigger gaps most likely. There’s overlap when you have multiple rings at the front so you don’t actually get 18 different gears.
But if it’s very hilly you might find it lacking in low gears. Going down you can just freewheel :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Someone much cleverer than me will come along to compare the gear inches. Do you have a link To current bike specs?
Or the retailer can explain

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

You need to compare, you’ll just have bigger gaps most likely. There’s overlap when you have multiple rings at the front so you don’t actually get 18 different gears.
But if it’s very hilly you might find it lacking in low gears. Going down you can just freewheel :laugh:

okay thanks 😄I will keep looking for now.

vickster

Legendary Member
The stagger is aimed at women going by the saddles. The non will have a men’s saddle so may need changing once you’ve measured your sit bones.
You need to go to a Trek dealer and try them out, also for size (on the non stagger, looks like a large is suited for 5’10 unless you have very long legs to torso)

Attachments

• E9FACACA-A6B9-4827-B936-D2EF89E1CD45.png
    E9FACACA-A6B9-4827-B936-D2EF89E1CD45.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 15

vickster

Legendary Member
The stagger certainly has different geometry

Cycleops

Legendary Member
1x gear trains (where there is just one chainwheel) are a relatively new development on mountain and hybrid bikes. Some might say fashion. Triple chainrings are becoming less common.
I suspect it's as much to do with manufacturers having to provide only one shifter and only one derailleur to tune, thus saving costs as they promote it as simpler with less maintenance.
The only downside is you have a bigger step between gears.

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

Yes I would personally, more racy. But then I only ride ‘mens’ roadbikes at the moment, but try and see what you prefer :okay:

Yeah I think I would feel better on the non stagger too. I think I feel more comfortable on men's bikes with being tall and being more sporty. I used to wear men's jeans when i was younger, women's were never long enough, glad they cater for us nowadays.^_^

Twilkes

Guru
1x gear trains (where there is just one chainwheel) are a relatively new development on mountain and hybrid bikes. Some might say fashion. Triple chainrings are becoming less common.
I suspect it's as much to do with manufacturers having to provide only one shifter and only one derailleur to tune, thus saving costs as they promote it as simpler with less maintenance.
The only downside is you have a bigger step between gears.

One explanation I heard is that 1x is fine for off-road because your speed is going to be so variable that it's not so important to lock into an optimum cadence, whereas you might notice this on the road more. I'd certainly lean more to a triple than a 1x for my riding.

Top Bottom