Trek Madone 4.7 2014 - Opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GravityFighter

Über Member
I'll be looking to buy a (probably carbon) road bike in the next 12 months as an upgrade to the Cannondale CX bike I got back into riding with.

A Trek Madone 4.7 has come up on a local sales forum that looks to be in good condition & my size. Photos show it as very clean, with a recent service etc and the owner's clearly a cycle fanatic.

Obviously caveat emptor applies and I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb if I view it.

Just wondered if anyone had any opinions or experience of this particular model? Also, does anybody know if I'll get 25 or even 28mm tyres (Conti Gatorskins) on this frame?

It's up at £800 and if a bit of haggling works could be just what I'm looking for. I don't want to get excited and just dive in for the sake of it though!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice bikes but I would test ride one if I was you.
When I got my carbon jobbie a good few years back it was a choice between Trek and Spesh. The Spesh won hands down.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go try it out. The Madone is the more racy range if that's what you are seeking

You can get new carbon framed bikes for £800-1000 which could be an alternative to used. Not sure on Trek but for some manufacturers the lifetime frame warranty isn't transferable which could be a consideration?

Paul's cycles often have v good deals on outgoing models

Why wait 12 months with summer coming ;)

OP
OP
GravityFighter

GravityFighter

Über Member
Yeah, I'm after a balance between racy and relaxed; don't want an out and out 'sportive' bike, but something that's full aero is probably a bit OTT too.

The one that's up for sale is full Ultegra which attracts me. If someone can point me in the direction of a new bike with a good carbon frame & a decent full 105 / Ultegra groupset in the £800 - £1K range I'm all ears.

OP
OP
GravityFighter

GravityFighter

Über Member
Brill, cheers. Hadn't really considered new as I wasn't actively looking 'til i saw the ad for the Trek.

Just wondering if the Madone is 'much more' bike than some of the new ones available, given the relative RRP's. Guess the only way is to try and see a few and compare!

May visit Planet X on Saturday as the Pro Carbon has always caught my eye.

Yeah, I'm after a balance between racy and relaxed; don't want an out and out 'sportive' bike, but something that's full aero is probably a bit OTT too.

The one that's up for sale is full Ultegra which attracts me. If someone can point me in the direction of a new bike with a good carbon frame & a decent full 105 / Ultegra groupset in the £800 - £1K range I'm all ears.
Ribble?

I have 2, so maybe I'm slightly biased?
A blue 'winter-bike', & a 'Gran-Fondo' (full Ultegra, including the wheels)
Have a look here, you can alter specification/gearing, bar widths, etc.... in the bike-builder

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikes/bikebuilder/road-bikes/

May visit Planet X on Saturday as the Pro Carbon has always caught my eye.
The Sheffield shop could be busy, with all the MeadowHell traffic in the area (but I realise it may be easier for you, straight down the M1)
I can be walking into the Worsbrough shop within 30-35 minutes of leaving home, if the traffic is light

Top Bottom