Trek part missing need help identifying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noob

I have an old school trek 9800 and currently it's a 1x7 but need help identifying this part so I can add more gears.

Attachments

• 20170905_170304.png
    20170905_170304.png
    379.1 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
Noob

Noob

This is my bike

Attachments

• 20170905_170402.jpg
    20170905_170402.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 80
  • 20170905_170354.jpg
    20170905_170354.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 72

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I doubt that will be an economic upgrade.

Let's see : you'll need a crank set, a front derailleur, shifter, cable and outer, new chain and some skills to set it up correctly.
Should get away with outer ring and new chainring bolts looking at the crank.

I have an old school trek 9800 and currently it's a 1x7 but need help identifying this part so I can add more gears.

Trek dealer should have those in stock or be able to order them. No chance of getting them from the previous owner who has removed them ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Another solution would be to add a large range cassette on the rear, you can get up to 42t, and change your derailleur. You'd also need a new hub and chain and front chainring so won't be easy or cheap. New shifter too so maybe forget my suggestions. Single front chain rings are all the rage at present.

You should be able to pick up a square taper triple chainset and shifter for a reasonable price.

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
You need these items, plus some cable outer (£3 or so) You can get better quality / lighter weight if you spend more - trigger shifters are another £6, for example, but I reckon this would be about as cheaply as you can do it.

Do you want the gears higher, lower, or both?

Screenshot_20170906_133249.png

KneesUp

Guru
Revoshifters, gadzooks, are you trying to put this person off cycling for ever. :ohmy::tongue:
Just providing the cheapest option (cheapest new, anyway, secondhand would be cheaper)

Just FYI, OP is in US (Oregon), so won't know what to do with UK prices. Also why he hasn't replied yet, still tucked in bed.

BTW, I imagine you could get a left only trigger shifter for something like the price of a pair of grip shifters - yup, there you go. No use to the OP, I picked a UK site to get a comparable price.

OP
OP
Noob

Noob

I am sorry, I didn't know most of you were in the UK, but thanks everyone for your replies and I did check on the derailleur and I have no problem putting money on this bike ONLY IF ITS WORTH IT!!, I know it has sort of good stuff on it already.
Reverse shocks 300
Thomson seat post
Ritchey stem
Fatboy handle bars
Italia seat (I know needs I new one)
Double wall wheels 400 dls according to bike store
Shimano xt brakes

I only paid 50 dollars for the bike and I can put some cash into it if it's worth it, eBay has the same bikes for over 1000 dls but I don't see them actually been sold so you can ask all you want but I need to know if I am going to waste my money on this bike or is it ok to put like around 400 to 500 into it on set of crank, gears, tires, derailleur etc or buy another bike?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am sorry, I didn't know most of you were in the UK, but thanks everyone for your replies and I did check on the derailleur and I have no problem putting money on this bike ONLY IF ITS WORTH IT!!, I know it has sort of good stuff on it already.
Reverse shocks 300
Thomson seat post
Ritchey stem
Fatboy handle bars
Italia seat (I know needs I new one)
Double wall wheels 400 dls according to bike store
Shimano xt brakes

I only paid 50 dollars for the bike and I can put some cash into it if it's worth it, eBay has the same bikes for over 1000 dls but I don't see them actually been sold so you can ask all you want but I need to know if I am going to waste my money on this bike or is it ok to put like around 400 to 500 into it on set of crank, gears, tires, derailleur etc or buy another bike?
The crank looks fine, someone has just taken the outer ring off (you can tell that by the recess on the ends of the crank spider) and ditched the front derailleur.

As for the seatpost,stem,saddle and bars then one brand is much the same as another but critical components like frame, wheels brakes, mechs and the rest are important and your bike seems to have decent brands of most of those.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Ribble would have both U.S ad U.K websites and availability, but I'd see if there is a bike co-op in Medford or Reading, CA that might have a triple . If the bike fits, it sure would be worth the trouble, btw.

Top Bottom