Tri/Aero Bars advice and/or Triban 5 upgrade advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

Afternoon all, hope you're well :smile:

For the last few weeks I've been looking into upgrading my bike (currently running a completely stock Triban 5) so it could definitely do with it :tongue: Been watching a few GCN videos on areas to upgrade etc. and I think the biggest upgrade I could install right now would be some aero bars. I've been working on my cycling position for the last few weeks with definite progress and this would further enhance that :smile:

Looking for some advice on what I'm looking for, or whether they're a much of a muchness. I'll only be looking for basic ones, ie I won't be looking to relocate brake levers and gear levers etc.

For info, I'm 29, been cycling on and off for a few years, putting much more time into it this year, 750 miles so far, pretty much all within the last 6 weeks. Generally get out for 15/20 miles most days, have done a coupe 50/70 milers and last sunday did a 100 miler for charity. I was still pretty comfortable at the end of the ride although the tops of my arms were really aching.

While you're here, if there's any advice for good areas to upgrade a Triban 5, feel free to share! I currently have a set of Michelin Pro 4 tyres on their way (25mm) as the rubber on mine are becoming perished. I wouldn't be looking for huge upgrades as I'm planning on upgrading towards the end of the year (second hand at that point)

cheers!

Sharky

Guru
What sort of cycling are you planning to do?
Solo, group riding, competitive time trials?

Tri bars for leisure & training on normal road conditions need to be set up a bit higher than you would for TT's. You need to be able to see ahead safely, without straining your neck, head & shoulders. The advantage of tri bars, is keeping your arms in and in front of the body. TT riders take it to the extreme, which isn't always comfortable or sustainable.

I've used them for both TT's and non TT's. I wouldn't ride a TT now without them. For non TT's, particularly early season, I clip a pair onto my SS training bike to get used to them and they do make a difference. Not excessively, maybe 1 mph, which would make around a 2 to 3 minute saving over an hours ride. The faster you go, especially descending there might be greater gains.

One point about group riding, they are generally frowned on, for safety reasons.

13 rider

Guru
The change of tyres will probably make a noticeable difference . To lower rolling resistance further you could try latex tubes they roll better but have less puncture resistance as the downside . Wheel upgrades probably offer the best upgrade

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

Thanks for the replies. Currently just solo rides although I am looking to get into group riding/racing if I'm good enough (Work has a racing team) As I say I've made improvements on my position recently and I just think the bars could further enhance that

The new tyres arrived today and i personally felt made a difference. Much better rolling resistance compared to the 6/7 year old stock tyres that came with it from Decathlon :tongue:

i've had a look for bars, some on Wiggle for £40 or so. For that price I'll grab a set and fit them for a few weeks see if I like them or not :smile: If not then no real harm done

Top Bottom