1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

triathlon - am i crazy?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by alecstilleyedye, 13 May 2008.

1. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

having done the cycling leg of a relay sprint triathlon at the weekend, i've decided to do the same event next year in full (putting in a cycling time that was in the top 30 out of 165 helped sway matters)!

i don't run or swim for pleasure, so 400m of swimming and 4k of running will be a challenge…

2. Milo

Milo Veteran

*sharp intake of breath*

3. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

No they are great fun so go for it. Before buggering up my leg playing football I regually used to do them in my neck of the woods. I used to find the running the worst part as I just find running soooooooo boring.

4. You are clearly insane and need help.

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

An Olympic distance is more of a serious challenge for a fit guy, Sprint is for couch potatoes.

Olympic is 5k metres swim, 40k metres bike, 10 k metres run.

I would be surprised if you couldn't do that in under 2:20 now as a regular cyclist.

6. beancounter

beancounter Well-Known Member

Done a few duathlons in a previous life (poor swimmer) and running off the bike is a bugger, make sure you practice that particularly...

bc

7. walker

walker New Member

40k on the bike? is that all?

8. OP
    OP
    alecstilleyedye

just waiting for the inevitable "triathlons are for pufftas" from some iron-man competition type now…

9. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Basically one mile swim, twenty five miles bike, six miles run.

The best tip is to get a wet suit that fits and swim the distance in it before the day.

Practice your transitions too!

10. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

Yeah, I've been tempted by the idea of a sprint triathlon as well. I know the willy waving thing to do would be to go for a longer one, but I'd rather start short to get the hang of it first.

And no, Tynan - I wouldn't remove the twin leg kickstand from my bike before doing it... ;)

11. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Er, you will remove the child seat though wont you? :angry:

12. OP
    OP
    alecstilleyedye

there was a bike with not only a rack, but a bag on it as well sitting on the rack in the transition area ;)

and a couple of knobbly shod mtbs as well. my carrera looked quite posh in comparison to many, but not against the carbon monocoque tt bikes obviously.

13. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

But then how will I take the nipper along for the ride? :angry:

14. OP
    OP
    alecstilleyedye

they won't be allowed in without a race number…

15. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Well now, just watch your bike skills go to pot as you mix it with your triathlete mates...