triathlon - am i crazy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
having done the cycling leg of a relay sprint triathlon at the weekend, i've decided to do the same event next year in full (putting in a cycling time that was in the top 30 out of 165 helped sway matters)!

i don't run or swim for pleasure, so 400m of swimming and 4k of running will be a challenge…

Milo

Guru
*sharp intake of breath*

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
alecstilleyedye said:
having done the cycling leg of a relay sprint triathlon at the weekend, i've decided to do the same event next year in full (putting in a cycling time that was in the top 30 out of 165 helped sway matters)!

i don't run or swim for pleasure, so 400m of swimming and 4k of running will be a challenge…

No they are great fun so go for it. Before buggering up my leg playing football I regually used to do them in my neck of the woods. I used to find the running the worst part as I just find running soooooooo boring.

domtyler

Über Member
An Olympic distance is more of a serious challenge for a fit guy, Sprint is for couch potatoes.

Olympic is 5k metres swim, 40k metres bike, 10 k metres run.

I would be surprised if you couldn't do that in under 2:20 now as a regular cyclist.

beancounter

Done a few duathlons in a previous life (poor swimmer) and running off the bike is a bugger, make sure you practice that particularly...

bc

walker

domtyler said:
An Olympic distance is more of a serious challenge for a fit guy, Sprint is for couch potatoes.

I would be surprised if you couldn't do that in under 2:20 now as a regular cyclist.

40k on the bike? is that all?

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
domtyler said:

just waiting for the inevitable "triathlons are for pufftas" from some iron-man competition type now…

domtyler

Über Member
walker said:
40k on the bike? is that all?

Basically one mile swim, twenty five miles bike, six miles run.

The best tip is to get a wet suit that fits and swim the distance in it before the day.

Practice your transitions too!

PrettyboyTim

alecstilleyedye said:

Yeah, I've been tempted by the idea of a sprint triathlon as well. I know the willy waving thing to do would be to go for a longer one, but I'd rather start short to get the hang of it first.

And no, Tynan - I wouldn't remove the twin leg kickstand from my bike before doing it... ;)

domtyler

Über Member
PrettyboyTim said:
Yeah, I've been tempted by the idea of a sprint triathlon as well. I know the willy waving thing to do would be to go for a longer one, but I'd rather start short to get the hang of it first.

And no, Tynan - I wouldn't remove the twin leg kickstand from my bike before doing it... ;)

Er, you will remove the child seat though wont you? :angry:

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
there was a bike with not only a rack, but a bag on it as well sitting on the rack in the transition area ;)

and a couple of knobbly shod mtbs as well. my carrera looked quite posh in comparison to many, but not against the carbon monocoque tt bikes obviously.

Top Bottom