Triathlon wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novemberdelta

Hi. Looking for wheel recommendations for triathlon. I’m using my road bike, Focus Izalco with redshift post and bars set up. I’m currently running a pair of Giant SL1 deep secions with alloy braking rim. The hubs are shot, I don’t think it’s that economical to replace and rebuild but am open to it. That’s the reason for buying new wheels, but I would obviously like an upgrade at the same time.

I am a bog standard mop athlete doing mainly 70.3. 81kg, mostly ride rolling or hilly UK triathlons. I want ideally to train and race on the same wheels as I don’t want the expense or hassle of 2 wheelsets. Bike is rim brake, QR, prefer clinchers.

Finally, I don’t want to break the bank - max maybe around £800 for the set. Looking for recommendations.
Cheers

Sharky

Guru
I want ideally to train and race on the same wheels as I don’t want the expense or hassle of 2 wheelsets
You may eventually take the complete opposite view and not want to train and race on the same wheelset.

To be competitive, you want kit for an event which gives you an edge over what you use for training. Could be lighter tyres or lighter wheels etc. It's always nice to have something a bit special and clean for the race day.

OP
OP
N

novemberdelta

You may eventually take the complete opposite view and not want to train and race on the same wheelset.

To be competitive, you want kit for an event which gives you an edge over what you use for training. Could be lighter tyres or lighter wheels etc. It's always nice to have something a bit special and clean for the race day.

Maybe one day but right now I'm an mop age grouper with 2 kids under 2 and a limited budget. I need one wheel set for training and racing. That may change in the future.

Sharky

Guru
Maybe one day but right now I'm an mop age grouper with 2 kids under 2 and a limited budget. I need one wheel set for training and racing. That may change in the future.
I've been like that.
Getting on a bit now, but have a dedicated bike for TT's. Cost a fortune over the year, but only done about 50 miles on it this year.

Curious, what does mop stand for?

OP
OP
N

novemberdelta

I've been like that.
Getting on a bit now, but have a dedicated bike for TT's. Cost a fortune over the year, but only done about 50 miles on it this year.

Curious, what does mop stand for?

I honestly believe I'll get there again myself but just not yet! At this time it's not justifiable though.

Mop = Middle of pack (average)

£800 is quite a lot of cash for MOP racing though isn't it ?

Get some decent training wheels and save the rest. Treat yourself when you hit some goals in training. You can buy marginally faster times with kit but training is free and gives more gains ?

OP
OP
N

novemberdelta

£800 is quite a lot of cash for MOP racing though isn't it ?

Get some decent training wheels and save the rest. Treat yourself when you hit some goals in training. You can buy marginally faster times with kit but training is free and gives more gains ?
I don't disagree. Aero wheels are just so damn expensive. I think I am going to go for some wheelsmith 30s and as you say save the rest. I'm all for free gains.

Top Bottom