Triban 3a - a 1000 mile review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
I think the original was 11-25
personally i prefer higher gearing but all personal choice really
so i would probably replace with another 11-25
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
An update:

Replacing parts on this bike has been a nightmare.

- The new Fulcrums didn't like the original cassette so had to wrestle it into place. That was a 3 week nightmare.
- The rear mech has finally given up the ghost (details below)
- The rear cassette followed suit.
- A new chain was fitted, but this has caused no end of issues as well.
- A new bloody bottom bracket was needed too.

Today's shenanigans with my rear mech:
- Change chain last night, Shimano HG70 installed.
- Chain jumps during ride today.
- LBS installs new cassette to counter this
- Ride home, chain bursts locking the rear wheel and annihilating the rear mech. I mean the thing has cracked in half. It's insane.

1000 miles is about your limit on the stock kit. Just a word of warning.

Pieface

I've had one puncture on my Triban 3 in about 200 miles, and I think it was caused by someone damaging my tyre rather than the tyres fault.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
An update:

Replacing parts on this bike has been a nightmare.

- The new Fulcrums didn't like the original cassette so had to wrestle it into place. That was a 3 week nightmare.
- The rear mech has finally given up the ghost (details below)
- The rear cassette followed suit.
- A new chain was fitted, but this has caused no end of issues as well.
- A new bloody bottom bracket was needed too.

Today's shenanigans with my rear mech:
- Change chain last night, Shimano HG70 installed.
- Chain jumps during ride today.
- LBS installs new cassette to counter this
- Ride home, chain bursts locking the rear wheel and annihilating the rear mech. I mean the thing has cracked in half. It's insane.

1000 miles is about your limit on the stock kit. Just a word of warning.

So are you still as positive about it? 1000 miles is nothing. I would not expect to be changing the chain or chainrings, or wheels. Sounds as if you had been able to add the extra you've had to spend to the original cost and bought a more expensive bike you might have got better value in the long term?

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
So are you still as positive about it? 1000 miles is nothing. I would not expect to be changing the chain or chainrings, or wheels. Sounds as if you had been able to add the extra you've had to spend to the original cost and bought a more expensive bike you might have got better value in the long term?

I think so. It was my first foray with a road bike and ultimately i'm pleased with the quality. The upgrades i've made have been necessary and i've handpicked the pieces i've wanted. Yes, the bike is now a much more expensive model due to new parts but as i say it's all customised the way i wanted it.

Had i splashed out on a bike maybe £200 more i think i would have ridden it less practically, perhaps been more careful with it. It's a learning experience. And since riding my first sportive a few weeks ago i'm looking at something in the silly 4 figure mark for riding them exclusively. I've fallen in love with the Triban and i can't ever see me replacing her as my 'do it all' bike.

LSAF2011

I ride a White T3, probably done about 600m in at the mo, 2 punctures so not bad. First was a giant thorn and the second was a nip at the base of the valve (pressure to low, ooopppss).
I've only upgraded the wheels, I also upgraded to the Fulcrum 7's with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Evo tyres but no problems with the cassette it fitted straight away.
Now I have a fantastic bike and with the wheels felt like they gave a little bit more rigidity to my ride.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
I ride a White T3, probably done about 600m in at the mo, 2 punctures so not bad. First was a giant thorn and the second was a nip at the base of the valve (pressure to low, ooopppss).
I've only upgraded the wheels, I also upgraded to the Fulcrum 7's with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Evo tyres but no problems with the cassette it fitted straight away.
Now I have a fantastic bike and with the wheels felt like they gave a little bit more rigidity to my ride.

Was that the wiggle deal? Fantastic price, great wheelset and the tyres (although made of tissue paper) are light as hell. Best purchase i made for it i think.

jagman.2003

Über Member
Thanks for the good review. I have been looking at value bikes a bit lately to see if they would ever be any good as a winter bike or commuter. There does seem to be fine line between bargain & BSO.
But as already said the Triban seems good for the money. Seem to hold their second hand value on ebay.
The answer would appear to be for me to just get a frame & build some mid range components on to it.

Is there any great gains with the higher spec. models?

Top Bottom