Triban RC500/520 max tyre width?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Hi, I was wondering what is the max tyre size you can fit to this frame? The Decathlon website says 36mm. But I don't buy that. I've just roughly measured the clearence at the back wheel stays to be about 50mm. I have a gravel ride coming up and would like to fit 40mm tyres but as this is beyond what Decathlon say is permissable I would like to hear from someone with first hand experience. Thanks.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If it's 50mm that should be fine for 40c gravel tyres. I'm running some Schwalbe Tyrago in 37c and they measure 42mm. Don't get too hung up on widths for gravel a 35c should still give plenty of grip and comfort can be handled by tp.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Thanks. I now have a problem where on researching this aparently the wheels that come with the Triban are impossible to change a tyre on. Like properly 2 man job and several hours and many tyre levers.
so looks like I will need to change the wheels as I sure don't want that at the roadside.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, but it's interesting to note there was no reference to to wheels themselves being the problem, just that the tyres were difficult to put on, which can be the case with certain tyres.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
No please trust me, I've spend all morning reading about this. Multiple multiple sources. It's the wheels not the tyres. People have tried other tyres on them.

Can’t help with the triban wheels but I stuck some 35mm continental cx Tyres on a 1989 Peugeot premier that fitted. It was tight on the pug but you’ve acres more room than that to play with than I had

Keep us posted

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Thanks yeah I've had a look around and messaged a few, waiting to hear back. problem is i know NOTHING about wheels so I am rather shopping blind. I don't want to buy rubbish but also don't want to spend too much as the bike isn't exactly super high end. Just want something appropriate for the bike. (That is nice and easy to change the tyre on!)

catalin gramada

Hello there, my first post here.
I think is need to understand a bit the rim build philosophy: They made the flanks of the rim a little bit higher but if we look into the center of the rim it is a fairly deep groove. Why they did it? To compensate the difference in overall diameter. So if wanna take it off easy and put in back as well just sit the tire into the groove...it will be more easy I think.

DRM

Guru
Hi, I was wondering what is the max tyre size you can fit to this frame? The Decathlon website says 36mm. But I don't buy that. I've just roughly measured the clearence at the back wheel stays to be about 50mm. I have a gravel ride coming up and would like to fit 40mm tyres but as this is beyond what Decathlon say is permissable I would like to hear from someone with first hand experience. Thanks.
If Decathlon quote 36 mm then it’s probably right, most gravel bikes that take really wide tyres are on a 1x setup, as you also have to take into consideration that the tyre can catch on the front derailleur, even if there’s space in the frame, also really wide tyres can be 650b too, you need to see what space you’ve got at the front derailleur when in little and big chain rings, up to the bottom bracket, between the seat stays and the chain stays, and bear in mind that some tyres inflate slightly wider than the size they’re sold as.
It’s not that straightforward just to throw a wider tyre on it

Top Bottom