Triban rc520 wheels upgrade.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

catalin gramada

Hello. I intend to do a wheels upgrade into gravel direction to my Triban rc520 and I wonder if this wheelset from Mavic it worth ? The wheels have 23 mm internal rim width (instead 17mm of original) , think more better suited for 35 mm tires I intended to use. Do You see any incompatibility? If it fit a 35mm tire into 17mm rim do You think will be a problem to fit the same tire on a 23mm rim to a rc520 frame ? Any thoughts please ? Thanks.

https://www.bike24.com/p2297902.html

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
The 35s will fit fine and be entirely suitable. Bear in mind (ie find out) whether your chosen tyre measures up wider than spec and be sure what your width and height clearances are eg maybe 622-37 would fit. Sheldon's rule of thumb is/was that the ratio between tyre width and inner rim width is best to lie between 1.4 and 2.0 (tyres less than 45mm).

C R

Guru
Hello. I intend to do a wheels upgrade into gravel direction to my Triban rc520 and I wonder if this wheelset from Mavic it worth ? The wheels have 23 mm internal rim width (instead 17mm of original) , think more better suited for 35 mm tires I intended to use. Do You see any incompatibility? If it fit a 35mm tire into 17mm rim do You think will be a problem to fit the same tire on a 23mm rim to a rc520 frame ? Any thoughts please ? Thanks.

https://www.bike24.com/p2297902.html
You also need to consider frame clearances, not just rim size.

OP
OP
C

catalin gramada

Thanks all. I.m sorry was not pretty clear , but just the frame clearance is my concern. I saw in other posts how a 35mm, 38mm and even 40 mm tire fit into the frame. But all of this on the standard 17mm decathlon rim. I intend to use a 23 mm rim with 35 mm tire. For sure it will fit diferent a 35 on 23 mm rim than on 17 mm rim. So, yes .my concern is: if a 35mm on those Mavic allround 23 mm width will work on Triban frame please ? Thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
Measure your frame. What is the distance between the fork blades at the 320mm radius? Same Q for chainstays/seatstays. Is the crown and seatstay bridge at least 360mm? Do you need room for mudguards? Don't rely on manufacturers or CycleChatters. The effect on tyre widths of inner rim width (17mm > 23mm, same pressure ?60psi) maybe an extra 2mm width. Maybe there are data out there.

battered

Guru
If you want to fit 35mm tyres and the manufacturer says that they will fit on the original rims then you don't need new wheels, unless you especially want to as an upgrade or a second set. 2 sets of wheels are nice, but rather expensive. So I'd get the tyres you want, fit them, see how you get on, then if you need a second set of wheels to be able to change back and forth easily, you can spend the money. Bear in mind that 2 new wheels, a new cassette, 2 discs, will probably cost about the same as a decent used example of the same bike.

battered

Guru
The 650b option would make mudguards easier to fit. Or do real 'gravel' riders eschew mudguards?
It looks like conventional mudguards won't go over 700x35 tyres on this frame. Max is 700x36, no guards. If 650x 40 is also a maximum I doubt you'd get guards on that either. I think if I were fitting big tyres to a gravel bike I'd use a crud catcher type mudguard, or just make do with an ass saver.

Top Bottom