Tribe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I felt slighty more bad seeing the bloke dressed as a bush whipping whoever was being held down in front of him.

Yes, it's an interesting point he made, about the children being whipped in a ritual to make them stronger, but otherwise being unchastised (and apparently, not needing to be). You wonder what a tribe member would make of little Tyson or Melange, apparently bought everything they desired, but constantly yelled at in public for having a tantrum, and whose system would seem 'better'.

Melvil

Arch said:
Yes, it's an interesting point he made, about the children being whipped in a ritual to make them stronger, but otherwise being unchastised (and apparently, not needing to be). You wonder what a tribe member would make of little Tyson or Melange, apparently bought everything they desired, but constantly yelled at in public for having a tantrum, and whose system would seem 'better'.

So....no pain no gain?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Melvil said:
So....no pain no gain?

Well, I don't know... But it seems (from my vast experience of watching Tribe...) that while these 'primtive' societies sometimes seem to impose, to our eyes, barbaric rituals on their children, the kids seem otherwise to be happy and well adjusted, whereas we 'civilised' folk so often wrap kids up in cotton wool sentimentality and raise their worth above that of adults, but the kids themselves seem full of neuroses and bad behaviour...

Obviously, I'd draw the line at something that physically harmed a child for life - female circumcision for example. But how much were those kids last night harmed by a lash of that whip? Of course, without knowing more about the custom, it's hard to say - how often is it done? And it's quite possible the kids would be equally well adjusted without it, because they'd still have good family bonds etc. But it's just interesting to compare relative attitudes...

Melvil

Arch said:
Well, I don't know... But it seems (from my vast experience of watching Tribe...) that while these 'primtive' societies sometimes seem to impose, to our eyes, barbaric rituals on their children, the kids seem otherwise to be happy and well adjusted, whereas we 'civilised' folk so often wrap kids up in cotton wool sentimentality and raise their worth above that of adults, but the kids themselves seem full of neuroses and bad behaviour...

Obviously, I'd draw the line at something that physically harmed a child for life - female circumcision for example. But how much were those kids last night harmed by a lash of that whip? Of course, without knowing more about the custom, it's hard to say - how often is it done? And it's quite possible the kids would be equally well adjusted without it, because they'd still have good family bonds etc. But it's just interesting to compare relative attitudes...

Perhaps also it's the organised structure and status of members of that society. The children know that if they follow the rules of the tribe they will be included and respected within it when they reach adulthood.

Contrast that with our society where instant fame from our media / money from the lottery / notoriousness through crime can often raise the status of a person. We are constantly told how worthless the common person is and have an ineffective police force and government that reinforce existing divisions.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Melvil said:
Perhaps also it's the organised structure and status of members of that society. The children know that if they follow the rules of the tribe they will be included and respected within it when they reach adulthood.

Contrast that with our society where instant fame from our media / money from the lottery / notoriousness through crime can often raise the status of a person. We are constantly told how worthless the common person is and have an ineffective police force and government that reinforce existing divisions.

Yeah, highly likely, I imagine. Being happy with what you have seems to be very unfashionable.

Top Bottom