Tribute to Sir Terry Wogan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Scab? Have you come on a time machine from the 1970s or something?

As for tax avoidance, virtually everyone arranges their affairs to minimise their tax liabilities, including many of those who shout the loudest against it such as the Guardian newspaper.

Scab is till used and completely valid in regard to Wogans treachery.

Some sweeping generalisations and wild assumptions you have made. 'Almost everyone.... "? Nonsense!
Wogan became a multi millionaire largely from opportunities afforded to him by a publicly funded broadcasting organisation. It's not too much to expect him to pay his fair whack in tax. Especially as he would still have had his £millions.
As for the Guardian newspaper. If you think for one moment that it represents ordinary working people you need to get better informed.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Scab is till used and completely valid in regard to Wogans treachery.

Some sweeping generalisations and wild assumptions you have made. 'Almost everyone.... "? Nonsense!
Wogan became a multi millionaire largely from opportunities afforded to him by a publicly funded broadcasting organisation. It's not too much to expect him to pay his fair whack in tax. Especially as he would still have had his £millions.
As for the Guardian newspaper. If you think for one moment that it represents ordinary working people you need to get better informed.
Wogan paid all the tax he was legally required to pay, the same as the rest of us. I never said the Guardian represented ordinary working people because I know damn wee it has nothing in common with them and doesn't understand them. But it don't half go on about tax avoidance...

screenman

Legendary Member
I had a chap moaning to me about tax avoiders and then asked how much for cash without a bill as he did not want to pay the VAT, pay up and smile your getting an invoice mate, everyone does. I have no problem paying tax, although I wish others paid their share as my share would then be smaller.

It makes it worse that Wogan was a contractor as he wouldn't have had tax deducted via PAYE (a classic tax avoidance ploy). He also refused to take a leaflet as he crossed the picket line (trademark cowardly behaviour). Scores of Other high profile celebrity stars showed solidarity and refused to cross the picket line. eg Natalie Koplinsky, Fearn Cotton etc. Selfish Wogan was the biggest star of all!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It makes it worse that Wogan was a contractor as he wouldn't have had tax deducted via PAYE (a classic tax avoidance ploy). He also refused to take a leaflet as he crossed the picket line (trademark cowardly behaviour). Scores of Other high profile celebrity stars showed solidarity and refused to cross the picket line. eg Natalie Koplinsky, Fearn Cotton etc. Selfish Wogan was the biggest star of all!
What utter rubbish. Wogan wasn't a union member and had every right to ignore a picket line if he so chose. And yes, I have stood on one myself.

What utter rubbish. Wogan wasn't a union member and had every right to ignore a picket line if he so chose. And yes, I have stood on one myself.
I've not questioned Wogan s right to legally avoid tax and to cross a picket line. I have merely e xpessed the view that a multi millionaire who did this is not someone I would admire!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
No matter what people say he was still a great presenter , who yes could be annoying etc etc

but most Saturdays nights quite a few years ago his audience figures were well above anything you get these days

Top Bottom