trice front wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3tyretrackterry

Hello
I have a trice Explorer and the front LH wheel is rubbing slightly. I think it is coming from the hub so took hub apart and greased axle cleaned braking surfaces and put back together again. This has made it better but still not as good as the other side which i havent touched. It just seems to slow down faster than other side when you spin the wheel I did find that if i did the axle nut up to tight then the rubbing increased but also if i loosen it off to stop the rubbing completely then it is too loose. Can anyone help me and or point me towards what i am sure is the totally obvious solution that i cannot see
Many Thanks
Ian

byegad

Legendary Member
Contact ICE via their email. They are good at helping out on owner queries.

Sounds like the bearings are shot.

+1
Take the wheel off and feel how well each side bearing spins.
If one or both feel rough then they need changing.

If your anywhere near Ely, Kevin from DTek normally has the correct size bearing in stock and can swop them for you, as he's just swopped my trailer bearing which where shot after ~6k miles.
Or get in touch with ICE, LBS, etc, etc.

If one side is shot, I think its best to change both sides just in case the other side goes in the 1k miles.

Luck ........... :biggrin:

sunnyjim

Yup -bearings probably- my QNT felt like that after 2 winters (including quite a lot of wading..)
They're standard bearings - 6000-2RS IIRC. ICE have a video on how to replace them.

plantfit

Guru
Hi Ian,

You could try a company called Brammer, they have counters in all city's (engineering suppliers) they have the 6000 series bearing in at £3.44 each and these are the energy efficient ones (upto 30% less energy)

Roger

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

thanx for all the replies
i didnt think it was bearings as i took the wheel off and held it and span it on axle it ran smooth when i put the wheel back together again but didnt put the nut on the wheel ran smooth it was only when i tightened the nut up that the rubbing started
Roger/Sunnyjim
i dont know what the bearings are called so a link to the exact item would be nice
I will also contact ICE
Many Thanks again
Ian

Sounds like the bearings are shot.

On my old Trice a similar problem occurred when one of the bearings slipped slightly out of place.

Having said that - if you are going to reseat gearings, then it is probably worth putting in new ones at the time.

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

Cunobelin
please explain reseat gearings and also how can the bearings move slightly i am unsure of what you mean. also question to all does it matter which way the bearing goes on

sunnyjim

thanx for all the replies
i didnt think it was bearings as i took the wheel off and held it and span it on axle it ran smooth when i put the wheel back together again but didnt put the nut on the wheel ran smooth it was only when i tightened the nut up that the rubbing started
Roger/Sunnyjim
i dont know what the bearings are called so a link to the exact item would be nice
I will also contact ICE
Many Thanks again
Ian

Certainly best to check with ICE.

I fitted these:

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/ad...rch_in_description=0&keywords=60002rs&x=0&y=0

60002RSR Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing 10x26x8mm

Inside Diameter: 10mm
Outside Diameter: 26mm
Width: 8mm
Seals / Shields: Rubber Sealed

£2.85
ex. VAT

2 each wheel.

There are lots of bearing suppliers, so you may find a shop  near home as Roger suggests- then you can show them the old bearing if in doubt.

Tip for removing old bearings: Remember they are scrap - it doesn't matter if you break them .
  And don't do as I did & forget to fit the steel spacer in between the two bearings. :sad:

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

sunnyjim
thanks for that
i saw the next ones down at £3.46 but they look the same
Lee
thanks for explaining im no mechanic or engineer but i understood that quite well
Ian
ps am awaiting email from ICE

[QUOTE 1155361"]
As bearings go round and round and round they slowly wear the metal casing that houses them and they start to move out of their position, hence they are not 'seated' properly which leads to the increased friction which is the problem that you have. And no it does not matter what way the bearings go in as they can only go in one way.
[/quote]

Thanks

the central ring becomes able to move and this can (and did in the old Trice) cause problems with tightening the axle

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

now you may recall in an earlier post me saying i wasnt an engineer or mechanic!!!!!

went out this morning to double check on both wheels to make sure i had not done anything stoopid.

took RHS wheel off and checked everything and the first thing i noticed was that the thing i thought was a bearing was in fact a metal spacerwith a ridge on one side(hence the rightway round question)
i put wheel back together and checked LHS wheel noticed that the spacer was on differently so put that on the same way as the other wheel and put wheel back together.
Rubbing is still there but not as bad
i am beginning to think it may be the brakes so am going to renew cables and see if that helps.
my thinking behind this is both my brakes link to RHS lever only and am wondering if there is any problems with the longer cable run (LHS) sticking and holding brake on slightly

next question
my trike is pre anti brake steer will there be any repercussions of going to 2 brake levers in that dept the trike was factory fitted with one lever for the origional owner( i believe i am the 2nd owner)
is there anything i should know about using two levers over one
Thank you for being patient
Ian

Top Bottom