trice front wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
The ability to brake each wheel to the limit is the main benefit to separate brakes.
The lack of brake steer is the main benefit to liked brakes.

You need to try it to see how bad the brake steer gets. So why not disconnect one brake and try it up the road. Obviously don't go far and avoid traffic. Keep safe.

You can use brake steer to help you around a corner, there ar limits as the 'help' depends on the lightly loaded inside wheel applying the drag. But it can be useful.

Only you can tell if you prefer one over the other, and if you go separate you'll need to relearn heavy braking technique.

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

dunnit
swapped to independant brakes
what a difference
i have already had the back wheel hopping never done that with both brakes on the one lever
thanks to everyone for the advice it really helped
still think i am gonna have to change the bearings but that is for another day
Ian

plantfit

Guru
Hi Ian,

Brammer product code for your size of bearing is E2 6000 2Z/C3 they are £3.48 each,
Leicester branch phone number 01162 609 600
Nottingham branch 01159 860464
Derby branch 01332 349 457

Hope this helps

Roger

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

Thanks Roger
got a reply from ICE they think the bearings are shot as well they also think i need a bearing spacer as well
total price 4 bearings 1 spacertube plus postage approx £25 if i get another spacer tube add £3.50
they also mailed me the video for removal and replacement so SWMBO says after payday they will be ordered
i had quite a day dealing with brakes it all went well just took it nice and slowly and everything worked even got the length of cable right (measure remeasure and then check measure swig coffee check measure scratch head then finally cut) big sigh of relief measured it right
trikes running fine just that little rub that is annoying me
Ian

The ability to brake each wheel to the limit is the main benefit to separate brakes.
The lack of brake steer is the main benefit to liked brakes.

You need to try it to see how bad the brake steer gets. So why not disconnect one brake and try it up the road. Obviously don't go far and avoid traffic. Keep safe.

You can use brake steer to help you around a corner, there ar limits as the 'help' depends on the lightly loaded inside wheel applying the drag. But it can be useful.

Only you can tell if you prefer one over the other, and if you go separate you'll need to relearn heavy braking technique.

Get a Catrike - Brake steer is virtually nil!

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

maybe one day
wife insists we pay the mortgage off before any more large purchases
the brake steer is not that bad i think i have been spoilt by having non at all whilst having linked brakes
in my opinion the brakes are better now i can really pull them on the linked brakes i never seemed to be able to jam them on in an emergency and certainly never even a hint of lifting the rear wheel.
If i dont get on with it i will put it back to linked again if nothing else i have learnt more about hub brakes and bearings in the last 2 days than i would have done by reading a book.
Thanks again to all for the input
Ian

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

ordered the bearings yesterday arrived today now have new bearings in front wheel running nice and smooth now still a little rub but i think thats the brakes rubbing will have to adjust slightly and see how it goes.
put the bearings back in with a sash cramp this time but will try and get a gadget made like the ice mechanics use in their video.
the main reason for this post though is to say thanks to ICE for quick service and good prices and excellent aftersales service

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Get a Catrike - Brake steer is virtually nil!
As it is on current (and several generation prior) TRICEs, of course.

Top Bottom